Chapter 13: Better Than Air

Start from the beginning

Now with less hesitation, I reach the destination and moved the curtains a few centimeters and peek through the blinds.

Looking down, I can make out a dark, tall and slim-ish figure.

Avery.

How did I know it was him? No idea, it just sort of... felt like him.

Now the paranoia was leaving as my heart skipped a beat at the sight of him.

I watched for a moment as he opened his palm to a collection of rocks as he picked out one and pulled his arm back...

*tap*

I flinched, I won't lie. I knew it was happening, but still.

Sighing with a small smile on my face, I moved completely in front of my curtains and blinds, I opened the window just as he was throwing another one.

And you'll never guess where it hit me.

At least that wasn't a knife to the face. I say we dodged a bullet.

Yeah I can dodge a theoretical bullet but apparently not a rock.

"Shit..." I heard a muffled voice say as I held my forehead from the stinging sensation that was travelling across my scull.

As embarrassing as it was, I looked down at Avery who was trying to look sincerely concerned while on the brink of laughter.

"I'm sor-" he couldn't even finish his apology as he broke out in laughter.

If my head wasn't throbbing, I might've chuckled silently. But, I was probably going to develop a concussion.

You can't develop a concussion, Gracie.

Says who?!

You just... can't.

Somewhere in the internal battle, my feet gained a mind of its own. So as I was debating with myself, I was also leading me out of my house.

I walked out, the breeze caressing my skin.

Maybe I should've changed hence the fact that I'm only wearing a tank top and shorts that are not appropriate for the outside world.

However, my mind stopped working as the sound of laughter was heard in the distance.

I walked to the side of my house to see Avery letting up from his laughing fit and returned his gaze to my bedroom window.

Seeing the confused gaze on his face once he sees I'm not there made my stomach turn. It was fifty times more adorable than Dylan's forgetful face.

"Grace." He whisper-shouted, not wanting to wake anyone who might've been home. "I know you're in there Grace-"

"Avery." I said and his attention snapped to me in a flip of a second. I walked to him while folding my arms over one another to create some type of warmth that I was rapidly losing. However, I shifted my attention from myself to the expression on his face. He stared at me wide-eyed as his cheeks flushed.

"Hello" I drawled out, waving my hand in front of his face once I was close enough.

"Oh, huh?" He snapped out of this gaze that was too cloudy for me to understand what he was thinking.

"May I ask why you are here? Or throwing rocks at my window? Or how you even knew it was my window?"

"Yeah, I came here for something..." His eyes drifted over my body, making me feel self-conscious. "Well, where are the rest of your clothes hmm?" He crossed his arm.