Chapter 11: Isn't He Just A Ray Of Sunshine?

1…

2…

3…

And breathe.

Which each minute ticking by, my heart was accelerating. I could physically feel the blood rush through my body. It was nerve-wracking to say the least.

There was ten minutes left to last period and I couldn’t be filled with anxiety more than I am now. Don’t get me wrong, I was super excited to hang out- excuse me, go on my date with Dylan but I couldn’t stop myself from thinking that somehow I’ll mess this up.

I still couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that he wanted us to go somewhere and spend time together.

It was situations like this that I was never prepared for. I was always prepared academically but never socially. This wasn’t some movie where the school’s sweetheart comes and sweeps me off my feet. This was reality where people had meaningless relationships just so they could be the leading headline for gossip. No one seemed to care about love nowadays, just a title that will only last until they graduate.

Was I over thinking this?

Probably.

These thoughts just kept coming back to me after Ally’s and I conversation during lunch.

*at lunch*

“Ally, I don’t think you understand what I’m going through.” I breathed out. She’s been chattering non-stop about my upcoming date. She was more excited than I was, if I’d known any better, I would have thought she was the one that got asked out by Dylan.

“I know I don’t! But you’re not letting me know what’s going on in the little head of yours.” She said while flailing her arms for good measure.

“I told you! It’s my first date, I don’t know what to do or except or what to say or-” I was cut off abruptly as Ally put her hand in front of my face.

“First, stop whining. It’s not cute.” Cue my eyes rolling. “Secondly, when is it? I’ll help you get ready because I don’t even want to think about what you have in mind to wear.”

“Gee, thanks for the pep talk. I’m glad to know that you think I’m incapable of styling myself.”

“Oh honey, I know you can’t. So time is it? Do you know where you’re going?”

“Um, he said ‘after school’ so I’m assuming right after school?” Was I wrong to think so? “Oh, and no I don’t know where we’re going.”

“Wow this is going to be a disaster.” She groaned.

“Why do you say that?” I asked. I had a bubbling feeling that it might not be the best night and she was only adding onto it.

That was probably the wrong thing to ask because she was giving me a mixture of the ‘are you serious?’ face and the ‘I would kill you if I could’ face.

“Why do I- why do I say that?!” Ally practically screeched.

“Geez, Ally not so loud. We’re in school.”

“Forget school! You seriously didn’t just ask me that! Well for starters, you don’t even know when you’re supposed to have this date. Then you don’t know where! He could’ve had this all planned out. Dylan could be bragging to his friends saying how you’re going to have a romantic picnic in the middle of the woods at midnight and you’ll have no clue.”