Fourteen••The Official Tour

"I'd like to take you on that tour, now," said Valnia, walking around the desk, her gaze fixated on Melaynia.

The younger sibling, stiffening, stood and followed Valnia out.

"This is the Main Testing Center." Valnia waved at the room they stepped out into, showing the desks, bookcases full of colorful tomes, couches, and brass torches illuminating it all. "And over there," she pointed at several doors leading to other offices, similar to hers, "are where the other Training Managers work. Some dwell on the other side of the Lair, you'll see them later."

Silent, solemn, Melaynia nodded.

They veered left, towards a large glass and crystal encrusted door marked INFIRMARY ONE.

"We have two infirmaries—the second is also on the other side." Valnia pressed a hand onto the cold surface of the door. "Here, we manage small injuries, minor illnesses, or issues relating to the testing. This is where you'll drink the blood in a few hours."

Melaynia winced, fighting against rolling her eyes.

"Deal with it, Mel, and fast," said Valnia, leading them to a brown door near the Infirmary, labeled DINING HALL—ONE. "The blood drinking is important to the Monsters. If they discover your disgust... and after how you hesitated at your Welcome Ceremony..."

You'll embarrass me, too.

Melaynia shrugged in response as they slid into the Hall.

"We have two Dining Halls, and we prefer if recruits stick to their assigned sides. There's a kitchen, too, but restricted for anyone not specializing in cooking, or with the appropriate authorizations." They paraded by the long wooden tables, indented with the usual wear and tear of an item that served for centuries. Buffet stations were erected here and there, with signs indicating their different specialties from the four continents, as well as Monster Island dishes.

A few stray recruits looked up from their snacks, waving at Valnia; others glared at her, rumbling insults under their breaths, but not voicing anything too loud for Melaynia to hear.

If she were to find out what they say about me...

If Melaynia noticed their glowering, she added nothing, and accompanied Valnia to another hallway. "One of the major corridors. This one takes us to the Main Hall and Meeting Zone; only one of several passages up to the outside world, believe it or not."

They proceeded down, passing big doors with names on them. To their left the walls clustered with crystals in all hues of blue, the candlelight reflecting off them, sprinkling dots of rainbow drops all over the hardwood floors.

"Those are Attendant rooms. There's a few more on the other side, farther along these walls and past the Main Hall. But we," she took a sharp left turn down a smaller, barely noticeable and poorly lit pathway, "are taking a shortcut here." Valnia slowed her pace and thrust out her arm to make Melaynia do the same. "Fair warning—this is a forbidden corridor, leading to a forbidden room. Even I'm not allowed down here unless, like now, I have special orders."

Curiosity trickled into Melaynia's grassy gaze as Valnia beckoned her up to the metallic black door: SURVEILLANCE HQ—CRYSTAL TRAINING MANAGEMENT - Authorized Personnel Only past this point.

"Only those with the proper clearance can enter. It's where we monitor Ceruleans and crystal activity. I've only been in a few times; it's private and off limits. Remember that, Mel. You may only come here if you're summoned." Valnia held in the rest of her knowledge—telling Melaynia too much would flare up questions she couldn't answer.