Chapter 33

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Chapter 33

“We can’t jump together,” Jessell shouted from above.  “The rope’s still here, you can climb down.”

There was a growl from the surface and then Ridec saw Kyle holding on to the rope and struggling to lower himself; he was still badly hurt.

“Jessell,” Ridec screamed, the sound of blade against decaying skin was apparent, the zombies had caught up to them.  “I have to go back up and help her.”

“Does she know what you are?”  Rea asked.  There was no response, Ridec was less concerned with Rea and more with Jessell.

“If you don’t want to be here with me that’s a matter for you but I’ve no time to play twenty questions.  I have to save Jessell.”

Rea gripped Ridec’s arm hesitantly, she didn’t understand what he was but she knew that who he was she loved.

“You can’t, that rope won’t bear you and Kyle’s weight together,” Rea muttered.

“I have to do something,” Ridec said but his words were interrupted with a splashing sound, Jessell had dived into the water striking Ridec on the shoulder as she landed.

“What the…”  Rea began.

“Are you okay?”  Jessell asked seeming a little stunned herself.  “I had to take the chance and make the jump, there were too many of them for me to keep fighting.”

“I’m fine,” Ridec muttered lifting some of the water into his hand and splashing it against his shoulder, the area was already starting to look off color, and the pain was saying to him that it had probably been dislocated.

“What about Kyle, if he falls…” Rea started to say sparing only a brief moment to look at Jessell in her mermaid form.

“Ridec, are you strong enough to work with me and control the water?”  Jessell asked.

“I guess,” Ridec responded the pain in his arm now so unbearable he could hardly read any thoughts about him.

“I’ll do it myself,” Jessell said and then she started swaying her arms gently into the water and moving them slowly into the air.

“What is she doing?”  Rea demanded.

“Ugh…” Ridec grunted not even able to pretend he was not in pain any longer.

“She’s doing witchcraft,” Rea muttered in awe as the water surrounding Jessell started to rise into the air.

“I’m not as good at this as you are Ridec, I could really use your help,” Jessell said.

It was a mental power and one that Mermen had been better able to perfect, the movement of water.

“I’ll try,” Ridec lifted his arms and a small portion of water twirled into the air lazily.  “Aaarggghhh….”

“Don’t worry, I’ll do it,” Jessell said passing Ridec a pitiful look.

“I’m sorry…” Ridec began.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“Is there something I can do to help?”  Rea asked.

“Are you a mermaid?”  Jessell demanded.

Rea shook her head slowly.

“Then no, so just stay out of my way.  It would have been much better if I’d landed on you.”

“Jessell…”

Ridec’s words were cut off by Rea’s scream.

“He’s falling!”