Chapter 37

Chapter 37

“Oh my gosh,” Kyle muttered as Jessell and Ridec sneaked into the building with Rea traipsing behind them on a rope.  “I should never have let her go.”

“You couldn’t have known,” Ridec said.

“We have to get back to the others.  Ridec thinks he can make a cure to save her, the faster we get out of here the faster we can make that cure.”

Kyle nodded a look of hope crossing his face momentarily.  If Ridec’s cure could help Rea it would definitely be able to help him.

“You’re really something else,” Kyle said his words addressed to Jessell.  “I know you never wanted to go to that place Kent’s been talking about and now you’re prepared to go for Rea’s sake.”

“Now you have a glimmer of an idea as to why I love her so much,” Ridec responded.

“I think I do kid.”

“You two will make me blush…or change my mind.  We need to get out of here.”

There was no more need for words.  Once Ridec and tended to Kyle’s arm the only thing left to do was head back to the school.  Ridec felt a sense of turmoil inside of him.  He felt excited, maybe happy in some strange way that he was finally going to be given a chance to try to right the wrong his foreparents had done to this land and yet incredibly sad because deep inside he knew that there would be still battles ahead and every step towards Kent’s headquarters was a step away from his home and a life with Jessell as his wife.

“In there,” Jessell said suddenly pushing Ridec into and old building and allowing Kyle to hobble in behind him.

“What?”  Ridec started to say but Jessell pressed a finger against his lips.

“Aaaarrrggggg….” Rea muttered.

‘A few of those things are just ahead, we have to wait until they wander past,’ Jessell said into Ridec’s mind.

It was so strange, Ridec was sure that the strength of the message was so much weaker than what he had remembered.  Could it be possible that with each day that passed on the land they lost a little bit more of what made them merpeople?

“What’s wrong?”  Jessell whispered actually using words this time.

Ridec shook his head.  It was pointless contemplating something like that.  Hadn’t Jessell taken a trip to the surface to prove her woman hood?  That trip had lasted three years and she had returned to their watery home fine.  They hadn’t been on the surface more than a few weeks, there was no way it could be affecting them already.

“More of them are coming,” Kyle muttered.  “I think we’re just going to have to make a run for it.”

“With Rea…and you?”  Jessell questioned.

“You don’t owe us anything,” Kyle said.  “Rea’s already dead and I’m not far behind.”

“If Ridec says he can cure her, then he can,” Jessell said firmly.  “I’ll go and out and draw them away, you two can head back to the school.”

“No,” Ridec said immediately.

“You don’t get to give me orders remember?”

“What about Rea?”  Kyle asked.  “Ridec wouldn’t be able to manage her and me too.”

“Just leave Rea in here tied up; once I’ve lost that lot I’ll come back and get her.”

“I don’t want you to,” Ridec said firmly.

Merman - RomanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara