Chapter 14

Chapter 14

“Darn!”  Kent yelled and turned on his heels and raced back to the camp area, Jessell and Ridec close behind him.

“He turned, he turned…!”  Pete was screaming racing to Ridec as soon as he came into sight.

“We said no gun fire,” Kent screamed angrily.

“I had no choice he was coming straight at me.”  Linda looked panicked while Mark’s body was twitching on the ground looking as if he was struggling to get up.

“You should have finished it off.”  Kent looked upset as he hurried forward and dragged his knife across the throat, the torso fell limp to the ground and Kent knelt there still holding its head.

“Watch out!”  Kate yelled, the teeth were snapping at Kent’s hand in spite of having no body.  He tossed it into the air angrily and kicked it away before it could drop to the ground again.

“He wasn’t dead.”  Ridec looked at Jessell in horror.

“They are undead; bullets at the back of the head paralyses them but there is still activity until the fluid drains out and breaks the connection with the brain.  Once there is still fluid in the brain even if you cut the head off it can still live sometimes,” Kent explained.

“Without legs it can’t do too much, and the torso can’t walk without the brain connection,” Linda put in.

“That was really freaky.”  Ridec couldn’t help but feel as if he had crossed into a nightmare world.  “I just want us to go home.”  He was looking pointedly at Jessell as he spoke.

“I want that too,” Jessell muttered and for the first time he could see that she was just as freaked out as him at being in this place.

His hand slipped over hers and she gripped it firmly.  Jessell had known what she was getting into when she had come to the surface to save Ridec, she might act tough but she was scared too.  “Mark…”  Kate looked crestfallen.

“I told you we were wasting our time carrying him with us,” Linda said angrily.

“We should get out of here, who knows how far the sound of those shots travelled and how many more of those zombies are out there,” Jessell muttered ignoring Linda.

“You’re right,” Kent grunted as he wiped his hands in his pants.

“I think I hear something,” Pete whispered.

“Yeah…sounds like…”  Linda seemed to be concentrating intently.

“Let’s go!”  Kent yelled gripping Jessell’s hand and starting to run without warning.

The sound of numerous leaves and bushes rustling floated back to their ears and added wings to their feet.

“It could be hundreds of them!”  Linda yelled her voice breathless.

“Go, go, go!”  Kent was fast, he was tugging Jessell along at an amazing speed.

“I can see them!”  Kate screamed.

“Oh my gosh!”  Linda yelled.

“We can’t outrun them!  They’re too fast!”

It was unbelievable.  The grip Jessell held on Ridec’s hand felt like a vice, clearly she had no intention of being separated from him.

“The kid’s slowing us down!  He’s too small to run fast enough,” Linda shouted but she too was struggling to keep up.

“He’s fine, I have him,” Ridec answered.