Leaving Part 53

Chapter 53

“This is a completely stupid idea,” Jessell grumbled her arm around Ridec’s shoulder as she hobbled out of the gate.  “I needed more time in the water; I’m not even completely healed.”

“Time is not on our side,” Ridec said sparing a quick glance at the orange lines on Jessell’s arms.  “The medication I gave you seems to have slowed the movement down somewhat but it’s not working the way I was hoping it would.”

“You knew it would be different for us,” Jessell pointed out.

“I knew but I was still hoping.”

“Waaaaaaahhhhhh…”  Jade bawled.

“Come back to us!”  A clean skinned Pete yelled from the gate of the headquarters.  He would have wanted to go with them but he knew it was all about Jessell and Jade now.

“This is a bad idea Ridec.  We can’t go cross country with Jade like this; her crying will attract all the zombies,” Jessell said.

“I’ll take care of everything,” Ridec promised.

“We can send a guard with you to help,” Rick said.  “I feel like this is all my fault, I felt sure the guards at Jessell’s door could be trusted.”

“Don’t beat yourself up, I probably would have waltzed pass them even if they were there.  I thought Ridec needed me,” Jessell said.

“You’re the real deal,” Rick said.  “Queen and warrior.”

“I’m willing to come and help get our Queen back to her home,” one of the other guards shouted behind them and then several other persons voiced their willingness to venture out in an effort to save Jessell.

“No,” Ridec said.  “You will only slow us down.  As soon as we exit this facility we’re heading to the stream and try to see how close to the sea it takes us.”

Rick nodded.

“That makes sense, you’ll be able to protect yourselves easier and you’ll move much faster than if you go on foot.”

Ridec grunted his agreement.

“And when the stream ends?”  Jessell asked.

“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Ridec said.

Jessell shrugged.

Ridec slipped Jade into the frontal strap on the baby carrier and with Jessell’s arm about his neck hurried through the gate.

“Stay safe sir,” Rick called after him.

“I’m certainly going to try,” Ridec responded.

“Rick,” Jessell said hesitantly.  She wasn’t accustomed to having to ask for help but the path ahead seemed so dangerous and treacherous for Ridec and Jade.  “Perhaps your guards can escort us at least to the deep part of the stream.”

She didn’t need to say anything more Rick and thirty other men were already racing ahead of them armed with salt guns.

“Carry the queen and the princess,” Rick instructed.  “We want to reach that stream as soon as possible.

“I can walk…”  Jessell started to protest.

“You’re still in a lot of pain Your Highness, it is better and quicker for us to carry you,” Rick said swiftly pointing at one of his larger tougher men who immediately swept Jessell off of her feet and carried her in his arms like a child.

“I’ll keep Jade,” Ridec said as one of the men reached out to relieve him of the baby.  “I don’t intend for us to become separated.”

“Of course,” Rick said waving the young guard away.

Ridec slipped his hand over Jessell’s as they hurried out of the second gate.

“Incoming,” Rick shouted.  “Remember to keep the royal family safe at all costs.”

“I’m already out of bullets,” one of the guards shouted.

“There are so many of them,” Rick grunted.

“You think Gus’ brother…?”  A guard started to ask.

“No,” Rick said firmly.  “He’s already paid for what he did.”

“Then where are they coming from?”  The guard asked.

“We’ve not been salting the ground like before, the salt levels have been too low and we’ve needed to use the salt for bullets.  It was only a matter of time before these zombies found their way to the only buffet remaining in town.  I was hoping that by the time they arrived we would have found a way to mass distribute the cure,” Rick said.

“You guys can go,” Ridec said.  “Once you close the gates you should be okay on the inside.”

“We won’t leave you out here on your own,” Rick promised.

Ridec grunted his appreciation.

“You and you,” Jessell said pointing at two guards.  “Get back to the base and bring more ammunition and reinforcements.  If we’re running out of bullets now there is no way you guys will make it back to base if you go any further.”

The two guards turned immediately and hurried back to the gate.

“At least you’ll have a fighting chance,” Jessell said.

“Thanks Your Highness,” Rick said.

“You need to wait until they get closer and shoot…” Jessell said and then gripping her stomach groaned.

“Jessell,” Ridec said anxiously but Jessell ignored him.

“There are only about fifty of them but you’re wasting bullets trying to hit them from this distance.  The bullets have to penetrate the back of their skulls and you can’t do that from here.”

“There are only thirty of us,” Rick pointed out.  “If we let them get close it could be a massacre.”

“If you waste the few bullets you have now it will still be a massacre.  You need to at least try to keep them off until the reinforcements return,” Jessell said.

“Jessell is right,” Ridec said.  “Prepare for incoming.”

“Prepare for incoming!”  Rick screamed and everyone formed themselves in a circle around Ridec, Jessell and Jade with guns outstretched.  “Start shooting as soon as they are three feet away and be careful to aim towards the base of the skull.”

“Of course sir,” the guards shouted in unison.

“Put me down,” Jessell instructed.  “And someone give me a sword.  If this situation starts to go south I want to be able to fight.”

“Jessell,” Ridec said disapprovingly.

“I’d rather die fighting for my family than die like a helpless baby in the arms of another man,” Jessell said firmly.  Then tilting her head up at the large guard that was holding her.  “Now put me down and give me your sword, that’s an order.”

There was always something in Jessell’s voice that made it so difficult to go against Jessell’s orders.