The Good Old Days

It's a funny thing, life. One second you think you have everything and the next, it's gone. So goes the life of the three best friends known to man: Steve Rogers, James Buchanan Barnes, and Natasha Romanoff.
It started off like any other story, with Steve getting beaten up in an alleyway.
"Have you had enough yet?" A tough boy, no more than eight years old, asked.
"I could do this all day," Seven year old Steve replied, moving to protect the small, red haired girl who had been their previous victim before Steve had happened along.
The girl said nothing, only tried to stand and put up a defensive posture, a weak attempt to help the boy who was risking his own skin for her.
The big boy shrugged. "Suit yourself." He snapped his fingers at his two cohorts. "Richy, Davy, you've got Rogers. I'll deal with the girl." The three boys began to advance on Steve and the girl, but a strong voice stopped them in their tracks.
"Or," came the voice. The boys whirled around to find a tall, confident boy striding towards them. "You could drop what you're doing and leave before I decide that you're too much of a nuisance."
Steve grinned as the three boys, obviously spooked now that there were even numbers, ran off.
"Come on Bucky!" Steve called as his friend came forward and gave him a hug. "I coulda taken them easy!"
"Uh-huh." James Buchanan Barnes, Steve Rogers' best friend and unofficial bodyguard replied. "Just like you've been taking them for the last twenty minutes? Seriously Steve. That's how long it took me to find you." He fixed his rather diminutive friend with a stern look.
"But I had to go! If I hadn't who knows what would've happened to her!" Steve pointed to the red haired girl, who had been standing there watching their interactions since Bucky had appeared.
Bucky nodded solemnly. "You're forgiven." Steve grinned. As much as Bucky might have complained, he really did understand the need for Steve's minor vigilante work.
Bucky approached the girl. "Are you all right?" He asked quietly.
She shrugged. "Better than I would've been if your friend hadn't shown up." She smirked slightly at Steve. "Even if he did manage to get himself beaten up just as bad or worse than me."
The three of them laughed. "Well, I certainly won't disagree with you there!" Steve said, giving her a lopsided grin.
Bucky stared at the low sun in the sky. "As much fun as this is, we probably need to be heading home." Bucky put an arm around Steve's shoulders, partly for friendship's sake but mostly so he wouldn't run off again.
"Would you like us to walk you home?" Steve asked chivalrously.
The girl nodded slowly. "I would like that."
The three of them had a pleasant walk home, discussing the sunset, the upcoming school year, and anything else that came to mind. After what seemed to be much too short a time, they came to the girl's home.
"Thanks for walking me home." She told them shyly.
"Of course!" Steve said giving her a quick hug. "And if you ever need help, you know who to call!"
She grinned. "Yeah. Not you." They grinned at each other and she headed towards her door. "I'll see you two around."
"Wait!" Bucky called as she opened the door. The girl turned and looked at him. "What's your name?"
"Natasha." She replied with a smile. "Natasha Romanoff." And with that she disappeared into the apartment.
"Well Buck," Steve said as they turned away from the mysterious Natasha's apartment. "I have the feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"Uh-huh." Bucky answered, staring at the door even as they walked away. "Maybe so, Steve. Maybe so."