Weeds - Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

When I reached the second floor I opened the third door to my right, Danielle was already awake sitting on her bed with her laptop between her legs, her hair braided to a side and beige beret balancing on her blonde head. 

She had spent the summer in France and decided to "embrace" the culture.  

"What are you doing here so early?" She asked, her incredibly freckly face raising from the screen to give me a slight nod. 

"I really don't want to jog with Bridget." 

She nodded before going back to whatever she was doing. 

My stomach let out a low growl and I remembered I hadn't had anything to eat, I told Danielle I was going to get food before walking out of the room. 

I hopped down the stairs in a horse galloping way , I knew no one was home since Danielle's dad and step mom were both at work. 

I slid into the chrome colored kitchen, my shoes skidding on the floor. I opened the fridge door searching, I grabbed a carton of milk , I took a step back closing the silver door. 

I screamed, before coving my mouth with the same hand holding the milk and my other hand flying to my heart. I let out two deep exhales , before closing my eyes and taking in a breath. 

"Cole." I muttered. 

He smiled, he was only wearing a towel from his waist down and his hair was sparkling with water droplets. 

I continued to the counter setting my milk down, I went to cupboard grabbing a blue polka dotted bowl, and then to get a box of cereal. 

Luckily Cole was back and he too liked Coco Puffs.  

I mixed everything in the bowl quickly grabbing a clean spoon from a drawer. 

I took a bite to notice Cole was still looking at me, "What do you want?" I asked. 

"That's my cereal." 

"Finders keepers, losers weepers." I recited this knowing it was what he use to say when he ate food at my house. 

He grinned, he opened the drawer under the sink and took out a spoon, grabbing a stool and dragging it beside me. He took a spoonful of my cereal munching on it. 

My jaw dropped. That was not cool. 

I took my bowl and sat it farther away from him, I continued eating my cereal. Looking straight out the kitchen window the day was very bright and the sky very blue. 

I took another spoonful, the chocolate puffs sogging in my mouth. 

"You know that's gross right?" 

"No it isn't." I smirked. 

"Yeah , it is." He fake gagged. "Like when you get the Cheese puffs and suck on them until they sogged and they get all flimsy and gross." 

He remembered. It didn't matter if he remembered something as dumb as the way I ate Cheese puffs , all that mattered was that her remembered.  

What did that mean? If he remembered then he never forgot. If he didn't forget , he cared. 

But how could he care, if he didn't? 

I shrugged, "At least I didn't suck the powder off Doritos. Now that's gross." 

He laughed, a deep, hearty laugh I had never heard before. 

I didn't know his laugh anymore. 

When his laugh settled into an un comfortable silence, I stuffed my mouth with more cereal which was already sogging.  

"Hey," He tapped my arm , trying to get my attention. "So, need a ride to school?"