Chapter One: I Nearly Die from Oversized Pillow Pets

March 16, 2010
Eight years ago.

The wide, vacant park in Salem was completely blanketed in snow, and a biting freeze caressed my face, making me shudder. Tiny white particles drifted from the murky sky and danced with the swaying wind, and the frozen street lamps were dimly lit that morning. Naked, bare trees staggered around the square area with a stone gazebo with frosted marble columns standing at the center.

The sun wasn't out, but there was still light; something I've haven't seen in along time. The nine-year-old me trudged through the crunchy layer of snow, hunched and shoving my numbing hands in my pockets. Though it was already March, it seemed like the season of winter wanted to extend its stay.

As time passed by, other kids started to flood the park, scooping up snowballs and throwing themselves on the ground to make snow angels.

I threw myself against a snow covered park bench, which was probably a bad idea because after, it would look like I had missed the bathroom. I studied the children playing. They were laughing. Smiling. Happy. They...were friends...

"Do it."

"I...I don't want to!"

My clammy hands trembled around the cold rod of my scythe that I held close against my chest. His figure loomed over me, making me feel like an ant compared to a beetle.

"You are the son of the boogeyman. I expect you to act like one!"

His voice boomed, making my legs shudder. The two children in front of me stopped catching the glowing fireflies of the night, and stared quizzically in my direction. Are they staring at me...or him?

My father grabbed my hand and practically yanked it in front of me. "DO IT!" he boomed.

I reluctantly let the dark sand curl around my fingertips as it cumulated into an immense, dark figure. The creature approached the children on all four feet, its fur dark as night and its eyes glowed a bright yellow. Black dust circled around the sand bear, and the two children squeezed each other tight, their screams echoing throughout the neighborhood. Its roar shook the kids as tears slid down their cheeks. The children ran off, and the bear disintegrated, blending in with the darkness.

I fell to the ground when my father abruptly released my arm.

"I shouldn't have to have to scare them for you", he muttered.

"I...I don't want them to be scared of me!" I cried, my voice quavering. "I just wanted...them to...like..."

I stared at the ground just before he grabbed me by the collar of my sweater and hoisted me up to his gloomy face.

"Who on Earth would want a powerless coward like you?" he snarled.

I whimpered, trying to break free of his grip by prying off his fingers.

"You were meant to be the Grim Reaper", he growled. "People like us are supposed remain in the dark. Nobody wants us."

He released my collar and I dropped to the ground, panting with my heart ramming against my ribs. My father turned away from me.

"You're better off alone."

I heard his footsteps grow quieter and quieter as my tears seeped into the rugged concrete.

I was brought back to reality when a snowball was thrown right at my face. As I dusted it off, I saw a group of older boys laughing and smirking in my direction. I need to pay more attention to my surroundings before zoning out like that.