Posted on May 21 (second post)

I spent the next hour in Mr. G's office. Mostly sitting inside alone, waiting for Mr. G to come back from speaking to the principal. When he finally came back, he spoke with a sympathetic tone, and told me I was expelled for the rest of the school year.

Now, I'm walking home in the middle of the day, cutting through the high rises, thinking of what I'm going to tell Mom.

The good news is, they're letting me finish my final assignments from home, and I'll be getting the credits I need to pass the semester.

I really didn't know what to feel. Happy, I guess.

"Yo!" I hear a voice call out from behind me. It's Maddox. Bart is with him, but not Tristan. They catch up to me and walk on each side of me.

"The whole school is talking about you man," says Bart.

"Yea, someone finally fucked up Darryl," Maddox raises his hand to slap mine.

I guess his name is Darryl.

"He had it coming. All the tough guy bullshit," Bart gives me daps.

A sense of something begins to rise in me. A sense that nothing much has happened, yet everything has changed.

Crossing the road and onto Kay Drive, I see Melvin walking towards us. Shit-his-pants Melvin. Social poison Melvin.

"Hey, it's your boy, Melvin," Maddox laughs.

"Fuck you, I don't know him."

I walk past Melvin, ignoring him. I can feel his stare from behind me – the back of my head feeling hot. I can still feel Melvin just standing there watching me as I walk away, a pathetic hurt look on his face.