Chapter 5

The smell of disinfectant filled my nostrils as I awoken from my passing. The window to my right let in the tiny bit of moonlight. A large round clock sat lonely on the wall opposite me. I looked around. I was in a small ward.

I was looking around for some attention, wandering what had happened, when one pair of bright blue eyes met me. Opposite me, sitting up, an elderly woman sat smiling. Her wrinkles were so deep into her head and the moonlight streaked one side of her face.

I tried to sit up, my leg began to pain. I pushed myself up just a little more.

"Hello," the woman greeted, she continued to smile, her mouth barely moved. I regreeted with a look down. I was nervous. Scared.

"Shouldn't you be at home asleep, tucked into bed?" She questioned.

"I wish," I answered. She tilted her head.

"Why are you not?"

"My friend," I tried to push myself up more, my neck also began to hurt, "she, had an argument with her mum, we had to follow her."

"We?"

"Yes, me and my other friends."

"Oh where are they?"I suddenly remembered. Megan. She had been shot.

"Oh no," I answered, I tried to get out the bed.

"Please, stay still." The woman comforted me.

"I think my friend has been shot."

"Im sure they'll be fine."

"Oh okay. Why are you in here?" I asked.

"Im getting old my dear." The woman began to stand up. She knelt down and pulled out a small red metal box and came to walk over. "I want to show you something."

"Okay," I frowned, pushing myself up further the bed.

"Its my husband's. We're married you see," She opened the box and inside were many old hand written letters folded up scruffily with black and white photograph's. "He was in the second world war. That's were I met him," She smiled, she pulled out a photo of a small teenage boy. He had his arm's up trying to show off his miniture muscles. "Love at first sight. He went out to fight at the age of 16. I didnt see him again until he was 21. We married at 25." She shown me a picture of him and her at their wedding day. She loooked beautful in a long white dress. "Cost a fortune. Unfortunatly, at the age of 30, he was diagnosed with Cancer. He had to have lots of tests and things but nothing would help him." Her face entered a state of sorrow and misfortune. "I got pregnant when I was around 40 but I lost the baby. We had lots of bad things. Well what happened was when he turned 50, there was a doctor in Africa that could help him. We had just enough money for one ticket so he went by himself. Whilst he was gone, my mother Margret offered me a holiday to America. Apparently i needed a break so we both went. Whilst I was there my mother died of old age. Therefore I had no money to get back. When he got back to England, we wrote to eachother frequently before it just stopped. I managed to get enough money, ten years later, too come back. So I did. But when I got back I became ill and now Im in hospital." Small beads of tears strolled down her cheek. They followed the cracks of her wrinkles. She handed me one of the letters.

It read:

Dear Paul

Im missing you so so much. I hope your okay, im so glad the operation worked! I really want to come back but the prices are just too high. I hope you'll forgive me. Ive just had our favourite meal, Spaghetti Bolegnase. Delicious. Missing you write back. xxx

Love From Emily x

I couldnt help but feel sorry for her. The letter was written very scruffily, I realised she must of written it crying or something because half of the ink was smudged. "Im so sorry," I told her. I wiped away a few tears.

"Its okay darling." She smiled.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead," She took the letter and folded it up, putting it into the box.

"Its my friend Darby. She doesnt realise that family matters, she has to make up with her mum, we have to go back home. How can I tell her. She doesnt listen."

"Write her a letter and give it to her my dear. That way she will listen and know you have taken your own time to think about her. She wont feel left out or alone. She would feel cared for. Loved."

"Thank you." I said, yawning after the you.

"Well, I better leave you to have some rest." With that she got up. I smiled at her and lay down. I thought about my friends. Darby. Would she listen to me? I faintly felt her hand touch my foot and she stood up. Or was it?

I fell slowly into a peacful sleep.

I awoken to the sunlight burning my eyes. I smiled. I knew today I might be able to go home. But then I thought about the taxi. The money we found.

I rolled onto my back. I pushed my arms upwards and looked around me. A black haired woman was beside me.

"He's come around. Hello dear." She said smiling.

"Hi," I answered.

I looked around. "I came back round last night." I said to the woman.

"Oh right," She smiled. She was writing something down.

Suddenly two other women walked in holding new sheets and pillows. They stopped at Emily's bed pulling the sheets over. Where was she?

"Excuse me," I said to the woman beside me.

"Yes?"

"Where's Emily, the woman that was over there?"

"Mrs Schofield? She passed away." My heart dropped a mile beneath me. My body swarmed with feelings I didnt want. I moved my foot and knocked something off of my bed. I started to panic.

The nursed bent down and picked up the object, giving it to me. It was the box. The same box Emily had had. Slowly I opened it. Inside was a note adressed to  'The brave boy in the hospital' I began to read:

Please return the box to my husband. Dont let go.

Emily xx

Tears poured down my faint cheeks. Gone.