The Truth

Author Note:
Thank you to everyone reading my story and I hope you're enjoying it. I started this story a long time ago and the updates are incredibly slow so I apologise for that. The story is still on hiatus for now but I realised I forgot to post one part I've already written so here is it.

I got back to my room at Sasuke's hideout after crossing out the first name off the list. Sui was oddly quiet on the whole way back which is unusual for him but it's not everyday that your supposed date leaves off with another man and then assassinates him. Because of the lack of time, I had to kill him quickly and didn't even get a chance to interrogate him about what he might know about Akatsuki. Perhaps it's for the best, ignorance is best. That reminds me I never actually opened the scroll I stole from Tsunade's achieves. I suddenly feel the weight of it in my bag even if the bag is laying underneath the bed. I should probably take the scroll and hide it somewhere else.

I look outside and see only darkness. The best time to hide something. I change from the slutty clothes I wore at the Inn and put on my normal attire. I take the scroll and hide it in a pocket. I proceed to open the window and try to sense any near chackra around me before slipping out. Once I determined there isn't anyone coming towards my room, I jump out the window. The question is, where should I hide it? Burying it somewhere it's probably my best bet.

I start going deeper into the forest and find a beautiful tree. The tree is bigger than any other one around here so I started digging. Once I made a hole, I take the scroll in my hand and open it. I wanted to give Itachi the opportunity to tell me himself but curiosity got the best of me. It's pretty dark so the writing is slightly hard to read but the little light I had made it slightly better. I scan through it and drop it. Shocked at its content I just stand there, not picking it up. Konoha. How many more secrets are you hiding? Itachi was just following orders. And then he got treated like a criminal. Even though it was all them. Konoha massacred the Uchihas. They are rotten to the core.

After what felt like eternity, I pick up the scroll and give it a last glance before placing it inside the hole I dug. I place a sealing jutsu on it to make it invisible to everyone unless the jutsu is broken. I can't risk this being discovered as the information it contains is far greater than I predicted at first. Once I'm done with the jutsu I cover up the small hole which now looks like new. I get up and start walking back towards the hideout hoping that no one realises I was missing. Despite that I can't be asked to run back and just walk normally too lost in my thoughts. I'm shaken out by a hand pulling me to the side which makes all my senses awaken. Who? I didn't feel any presence nearby.

I look up cautiously until I'm met with a pair of onyx eyes I know too well. "Itachi." I say, still unsure how to face him after the discovery I made.

"What are you doing in a dark forest so late, Sakura?" He looks at me, worry evident in his eyes.

"I was just taking a walk." I lie, feeling guilty immediately.

"I went to the inn you were supposed to stay at and I couldn't sense any traces of you being there." He said it as a matter of fact and I sigh knowing I have to explain my situation.

"I'm kind of staying at Sasuke's hideout through a series of unfortunate events." I look up at him in hopes I could get a read on what he's thinking.

"Did he hurt you?" He looks me up and down and I shake my head.

"No. I'm fine. He just wants me there as a precaution until they move to their next hideout." He lets out a relieved sigh and I try out my best to smile to reassure him.

"You seem shaken up. Did something happen?" He's sharp. I was at a loss of words.

However I'm not given a chance to reply as he starts coughing and covers his mouth with his hand. I look at him worried and catch a glimpse of blood in his hand.

"Itachi, are you sick?" I ask not wanting to know the answer.

"Do you know about the consequences of overusing the Mangekyou Sharinngan?" He asks me and I look him a worried and confused look.

"Blindness. It starts off with your vision blurring occasionally until it becomes complete darkness." He tells me and I stand there still confused.

"But what does coughing up blood have to do with your vision?" It didn't make sense from a medical point of view.

"That I do not know but I am experiencing slight vision loss occasionally."

"There has to be a way." He shakes his head.

"There is but I do not intend to fix it. An Uchiha can take the eyes of a relative and replace his in order to gain a sharingan that is free of those consequences but like you pointed out, I doubt coughing up blood has anything to do with it. I'm dying and I need to last a little longer." He confesses and realisation hits me.

"You want Sasuke to kill you and get his revenge." I hope I'm wrong but he stands there not uttering a word.

"There has to be another way." I sound desperate but I don't care. I'm not going to let the man I love get killed for a crime he isn't even responsible for.

"I'm sorry, Sakura. Since meeting you I started doubting my plan but I have to do this for Sasuke." He looks saddened at me and I just look at him not knowing what to say.

So this was his plan all along? Become an S rank criminal until the day Sasuke gets strong enough to avenge the Uchiha clan. No. I refuse to let that happen. But first there is the issue of him coughing up blood. I might know how to cure it and with enough research I should have a chance at it. No. I will cure it. No matter what I have to do to get a cure.

"Sakura, I would understand if you choose to cut all contact with me now." He tells me and I kiss him.

"No, I don't. I love you, Itachi. Now and always. I will stand by you until the end." I say truthfully although the end of what he's thinking is different from mine. I will save him.

"I love you too, Sakura. Thank you." He kisses me in return and I stay in his embrace for a while.

"I should go now. I've been gone quite long and someone might had realised I'm missing." I realise I've been gone for a while and chances are, someone found out.

"Take care, Sakura." He places a short kiss on my forehead and disappears.

It almost feels like a dream. I've found out too many things today to the point of just feeling like I'm in an endless turmoil. Konoha is responsible for the Uchiha's massacre. Itachi is sick and plans to die at Sasuke's hand so he can fulfil his revenge. A revenge that is directed towards the wrong person. First thing first though, I need to find out more about Itachi's illness and about the Sharingan.

Without realising, I arrived at Sasuke's hideout. I checked for any presence inside and I'm relieved to be able to sense the chakra from each one which might mean that my absence wasn't discovered. I swiftly move towards the window from my room and quietly go in, closing it once I'm inside my room. The fact that no one realised I'm gone is slightly suspicious but it worked in my favour. At least I got nothing to explain to anyone. Without a second thought I jump in bed and try to digest the stuff I found out today. It came one after another and it gave me little time to take in each one before the next one came. I feel overwhelmed. I just want to sleep right now and push the ugly truth in the back of my mind.