Chapter 16 "Not Too Discreet"

Start from the beginning

I remained silent for a moment and just stared back at her. From the questions she threw at me, I didn't know what to answer first. But leaving those aside, there was absolutely no way I would tell her that truth as it would put her in more danger. Then again if I told her, it might changed how she looked at me and maybe she would distance herself from me just like what Olivia was doing, which was a good thing to keep her safe. But was I ready to lose her just like I was slowly losing Liv? But then again, I had no idea how she would react if I told her the truth.

Letting out a deep breath, I walked to my closet, grabbing a loose white tee, denim shorts and undergarments before walking back to the bathroom to change. Sara must be wondering but I couldn't answer her right now. I had to talk to Violet first. 

After changing, I went back to the bedroom and found Sara sitting at the edge of the bed with her arms crossed on her chest. She looked at me impatiently but I just smiled before grabbing the hair dyer and started drying my hair.

"Well, are you planning to answer me?" 

I rolled my eyes, "If I was planning to answer you Sara, I would have answered you already."

She scoffed, "Why can't you tell me?... Are you a criminal or something?" I stopped at what I was doing and turned to her.

"What if I am? Shouldn't you feel scared?" She looked taken aback and averted her gaze. She gripped the mattress tight turning her knuckles white. "I thought so," I mumbled before turning my back to her and continued drying my hair. As I looked at her through the mirror, she was still looking down and unmoved.

"You know what?..." I raised my eyebrow when she spoke up. She looked back up at me through the mirror with a serious expression. "...So what if you're a criminal... That doesn't change how I feel about you..." I froze at what she said and squinted back at her. She must be kidding right now. There was no way she meant it. 

"I'm sure you don't mean that."

She shook her head, "I do. Criminal or not, nothing would change about my feelings for you. And say..." she stood up and walked behind me, brushing my hair to the side "...if you're really a criminal, I wouldn't feel scared because you're the one who makes me feel safe and secured." The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I could feel her warm breath on my back. What was she doing to me?

I stepped aside and cleared my throat, "Well, I can assure you I'm not a criminal... and the gun, it was to protect myself, you know how these days, we might as well be prepared, you'll never know... and speaking of Violet, it was nothing, she just bumped into something sharp. Thankfully it wasn't deep or else...I don't wanna think about it," I rambled keeping myself composed as I suddenly felt uncomfortable.

"Oh...okay. Um, thank God it wasn't that serious."

"Psshh, yeah." I said, shrugging and continued what I was doing. I glanced at her on my side and I could still see a frown on her expression. Why was I all worked up again?

"Now that I think about it, why's the gun out in the open? Shouldn't you be keeping it?"

"I-I did keep it. I was cleaning it?"

She looked at me suspiciously, "Really?" I nodded eagerly and smiled briefly. Gosh, I didn't know how long I would keep up with her as she didn't seem to run out of questions. It was like she was more curious than a detective right now.

Combing my hair with my fingers, I turned off the dryer and walked straight to the bed to get some sleep. I flopped down on the soft mattress and stretched out while yawning.

"Ugh, I'm freaking exhausted. By the way, why are you here exactly?" I asked weakly. She smiled and flopped down beside me. 

"I wanna spend my Saturday with you. I missed you yesterday and you didn't call or text me to let me know you were gonna be absent. I wished you were in school yesterday. Did you know how lonely I was, eating my lunch alone since Elle was absent too. And speaking of that girl, I have't seen her for days..." As Sara continued talking, her voice had became distant and muffled as I found myself slowly slipping into unconsciousness. I knew it was rude to fall asleep when someone's taking to you but right now, all I cared about was to get some sleep and with that, I let sleep took over my senses.