Chapter 20: In WICKED

MINHO'S POV
When I wake, I see someone sitting across me. I open and close my mouth, wanting to say something, but getting way too distracted. Her hair is a wild tangle around her face, a rich black that looks so stark against her pale, almost ghostly skin. Her eyes are the real shocker-a blue that looks like it's charged with electricity, a mix of dark and light hues of blue in them. Her features are sharp, and there's just something about her...

The hard edge to her eyes, along with the scowl that pulls her dark lips down are what triggers a feeling in me that I know her. She looks weary and mad and exhausted.

"You're finally awake," She says, her voice soft and yet commanding.

It hits me with a jolt. I can't believe I didn't recognise her sooner. I must have been staring because she looks away. This is Rhea. All this time I've been wondering how she looked, trying to put a face to her voice. I never pictured her looking so hauntingly beautiful.

"Rhea?" I ask, and my voice comes out sore.

At the left side of her face, her hair covers her eye. She sees me looking at her left side and raises a challenging brow at me. She pushes her hair behind her ear and I see it.

The scar looks like it can kill the person looking at it. It's long and it's got a coat of dried blood on it. It's an awful scar, ruining one side of her face.

"What the..." I mutter.

Rhea shrugs, gaze darting away once more. "Got it long ago. For some reason, it never heals."

Someone walks in. Ava Paige. Or should I say, Chancellor Ava Paige. Rhea visibly stiffens and she glares at Ava with such loathing that I'm surprised Ava doesn't draw back.

"I told you to only take me," She says through her teeth.

Ava flinches, which I find surprising. "Be glad I didn't take all of them."

Rhea glances at me and then looks back at Ava. Her fists are clenched at her sides and she's tense all over.

"Where is my Father?" She asks, her voice deadly, more deadly than the one she used when she last talked to me.

Father. She has, or had, a Father here.

Ava takes a step backwards now, her eyes wide and washed over with sadness.

"I'm sorry, Rheana. He caught the virus and- and..." She shakes her head.

Rhea goes still. She unclenches her fists and then lunges out of her seat and towards Ava, pinning her to the ground, her fingers curled around her neck. I jump to my feet but I make no attempt to stop her. That lady deserves to die. And she deserves to die slowly.

"What. Did. You. Do?" She hisses slowly, her voice murderous and her look vicious enough to kill.

Ava whimpers. "I'm sorry, Rheana. It couldn't be stopped!"

"You're lying," Rhea says, in that soft deadly undertone. "When would you learn to stop lying?"

Ava chokes and Rhea tightens her hold on Ava's neck, strangling her tighter. Just then, Janson bursts into the room with two Guards who grab Rhea's arms and pull her back. She makes no attempt to stop them.

Ava's face is a palish green and her lips are purple. She makes strangled gurgling sounds and coughs. Janson helps her up and escorts her out of the room.

Rhea is thrown onto the seat next to me and her beautiful face looks so murderous that I have the urge to move away.

But she doesn't say anything. She just leans her head back and lets the tears flow down her cheeks. Her crying is silent, and I don't know if that's better or worse. She digs into her black jean's pocket and pulls out a white pill. She puts it in her mouth and chews on it.

"My injury has never healed. I was cut by some experimental metal that screws everything up. Now I have to eat the pill everyday so I don't get headaches and it doesn't reopen and bleed. The pills work immediately though," She explains.

"They took your hoodie?" I ask.

She nods. "Yeah."

"Why'd you come after me?"

"I didn't only come for you. I needed answers. And if I didn't, the rest would want to come after you to save you. I can't put them in danger. We need to escape WICKED and find them before they get to WICKED," She says.

"That's impossible. And knowing Thomas, they're definitely coming after us," I mutter.

"I know. But I couldn't let you here on your own," She looks away, hiding her expression from me.

"I thought you hated me," I frown, because I was totally under that impression.

"Maybe not you," She replies. "But I do hate Teresa."

"We can agree on that."

"They're gonna torture us. Draw the rest in." Rhea's voice sounds strangely detached despite what she's saying, as if she's resigned herself to our situation.

"How do you know so much about them?"

"You'll learn soon. Don't tell the rest, please," she hesitates, and I wonder who she's thinking of. "Whatever happens here stays between us."

"Okay," I nod slowly. And then, unable to help myself, I add, "Thanks though. For coming after me."

Rhea smiles wryly. "We're gonna die."