Chapter 8: Memories

RHEA. @WICKED. AGE:13
I take off my hood and look at my reflection in the mirror. Even after these six years, the scar hasn't faded and occasionally, I get worser headaches and blackouts. It would also suddenly redden and bleed a bit. It's the pills that helps.

My pale white skin looks sickly. My Caribbean blue eyes that shine so brightly they could look like stars, out of place on my face. My lips, too, make a stark contrast against my skin. My black hair falls against my shoulders, and my fingers reach up to gather it into a ponytail.

When I was in WICKED when I was four, they wanted to run an experiment on me. They gave me a hood, telling me to wear it. As a child, I didn't know better. I listened to them, donning on the hood and making it my second skin. Every year, they'd pass me a new jacket to wear.

It became natural. So natural that one day, when I showed my face at the age of six, I was frightened. Frightened of the way people stared and how people met my eyes directly.

Since then, I've grown used to it, but the hood provides me reassurance. It makes me feel safe. And, ever since the age of twelve, it's hidden my scar.

I sigh as I put the hood over my hair, which I always tied up in a ponytail. Then I go out of the bathroom and sit on my bed, waiting for Ava to come.

There's a light knock on the door, and it opens to reveal Ava at the other side. That's what she told me to call her. Ava.

"Hello," She says, her voice calm and levelled. "How you feeling, Rheana?"

I shrug. I've never been a very open person. Since I was young, WICKED kept me mostly secluded, and my only friends have been my tutors and mentors. I rarely meet kids my own age, and when I do, speaking to them is strictly not allowed.

"Let's just get through your testings, okay? After that, your Father would like to have a chat with you," Ava says.

I feel a lump in my throat. I haven't talked to my Father in a long time. Longer than usual. I'm a thirteen-year-old now, and it was just a couple of months ago that my dad told me about my birth. How I was an accident between my father and Ava.

"Listen, I know it might be strange but try to talk to him, okay?" Ava says. She's using this delicate voice on me. The one that adults typically use on children. On people younger than ten. It irks me.

I scowl. "He did this to me. He let them throw the knife at me. I'm not going to talk to him."

"Rheana, listen to me. He wants to sort things out with you," Ava says.

I shut my mouth because there's nothing I can do to not go. I don't have any power here. They do. And I know that they'll hurt me to make me meet him.

But I really do want to see why Father. He's the person I have apart from Ava. And Ava and I aren't exactly on the best of terms either.

"Let's just get this over with," I cross my arms firmly across my chest, hoping that tears don't well in my eyes.

Ava sighs. "Listen, I know I haven't acted like a Mother at all, but just know that I'll always be here for you, okay?"

Ava's always taken care of me. We'd gotten sort of close over the years, but recently, I've been hating her. I found out something I shouldn't have and that changed everything.

When she's done injecting me with stuff, taking my blood and feeding me my pill, she stands up and offers me a hand. I don't take the hand though. I just stand up and walk to the door, opening it for myself.

Ava takes the lead, leading me down the elevator and past many rooms, eventually ending up at a room with a wooden door and a keypad next to it.

Ava slides her key card-a more special one-and the door makes a clicking sound. She opens it for me and I feel sick in the stomach as I walk in.

The office is neat everywhere, as usual. Books line the shelves at the right side of the office and pictures are placed on several places around the shelf. I spot myself as a child with my father. There's also a picture of Group A and Group B and several other groups. Then there's folders all lined up carefully on the left side of the wall, on the other black shelves.

At the end of the room, facing me, is my Father, sitting behind his wooden desk, his wonderful blue eyes-that match mine-trained on me. His black hair is in a mess and his skin is unusually pale. I resemble him more than I do Ava, and for that I'm grateful at least.

"Rheana. I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Father says, standing up.

He walks over to me and hugs me. I stiffen and I hate how much I miss my Father. We don't meet much but he's always been on my side. Always caring and always loving. Unlike Ava.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask, pulling away.

Father nods solemnly. "Yes. Take off your hood so I may see you, Rheana Hunter Allios."

I shake my head but my Father looks at me pleadingly, as if it would be his last time seeing my face. So I do. I take off the hood.

Only Ava has seen me without my hood since the incident. It feels strange to let my Father see me without it too.

He winces and reaches a hand out to touch the scar. "I'm so sorry, my dear. Will you forgive me? I had no say in any of it."

I take in a shuddering my breath. "Why did you call me?"

Father's face falls, but he puts on a business like face that I've seen countless of times when he was talking to everyone. He always has a Fatherly face when it's just the two of us, though.

"I'm afraid that I'm... I'm not going see you for some time. And- and things are getting out of hand. They are forcing me to send you into the Maze Trials," Father says.

I feel myself go still, feel my breath leave me suddenly. The Maze Trials. My voice is steady when I speak next, though I feel anything but, "I always knew I would. You didn't need to tell me."

"Rheana, I am going to stop it. I'm going to end the Maze Trials. I will stop it," Father says, gripping my shoulders with his large hands, eyes set and determined.

I glance at his hand on my shoulder, hesitating. He doesn't seem to be lying. I'm trained to know when someone is. He's telling the truth.

"You are lying," I still say though. Because the Maze is his life's work. It's what he's been hoping to accomplish for so long now.

Father shakes his head and tightens his hood on me.

"No, Rheana. I will end it. I promise," He says.

Then the door opens and Ava walks in. Father draws back sharply, his hands returning to his pockets and his face completely smoothening out.

"Chancellor Anderson. Your meeting is in five minutes," Ava says.

Father nods and sighs, giving me one last look. "I love you, okay, Rheana? Just remember that."