twenty three • turning point

Start from the beginning

The shape he was in, the player he was was built over years and years of sweat, tears and blood, but also years of joy and happiness.

There was no Byun Baekhyun without volleyball.

Volleyball was everything he wanted to do, it was a part of him.

Right now, his childhood dream of being Korea's best setter was one step away.

Right before him.

He knew he could do it. If they win, there will be no boundaries anymore.

The world he dreamed of would be his.

He could have it all, only if he takes one simple step.

If he declines Harvard.

If he gives up on saving lives.

But right now, Byun Baekhyun knew that that gym was where his journey with volleyball ends.

He made the decision.

Whatever the final result of the Nationals was, it will be the last game he would ever play.

Life doesn't always go like we want. Sometimes, we take sacrifices.

His heart ached, but it wouldn't be a sacrifice if it was easy, right?

"Captain!" he heard a voice call him and he knew that was it. "Come on, it's time."

"You have this one for sure, boys." Coach Lee said to the boys who gathered in half circle in front of him.

"Follow the signs we used in practice." Baekhyun stepped out and faced his teammates. "Chanyeol, you know when to use our quick and when ordinary one. Don't get carried away."

Baekhyun's face was serious. He knew to separate private and professional matters, and on the court, Chanyeol wasn't his boyfriend. He was his teammate and the ace of the team.

He put his hand down and the team covered it with theirs.

"We are one! Jungsan!"

"Baekhyun, over here!" Kris called and the toss flew to him im a millisecond, letting him spike flawlessly.
They were playing their second set of their first match. As the coach said said, they had that one for sure.

Jungsan won first set 25:22 and now they had 23:20.

"Was it too high? I'm sorry, I will set you the next one better." Baekhyun put his hand on Kris' back, but the other just laughed.

"It was a perfect toss, don't speak nonsense."

Baekhyun smiled back, passing the ball to Junmyeon, who was at the serving position. Leaning against his knees and gazing at his opponens behind the net, Baekhyun felt content, even if he was getting closer to the end with every touch of the ball.

"Junmyeon, nice serve!"

"Yah, this one was close!" Jongin groaned after he dropped down on a bench in the locker room.

"It was close only because they were cheating, I don't think their attack with libero from the back line was right. He touched the line." Minseok furiously took his shirt off, digging through his bag like he was searching for a murder weapon inside.

"We're in semifinals, that's all that matters now." Junmyeon said. He sounded unusually happy. Junmyeon wasn't a person who showed his feelings very often.