2.4

Luckily, they didn't have class the next day. They were all invited to attend the auction where many investors and collectors also attended. There were also black curtains in the balconies to conceal individuals' identities for various reasons. Some wanted their privacy, some were famous, and some had powerful background.

Zhang Yong disappeared allowing the students to wander and get connections. Lin Xi decided to sit behind a black curtain because he heard of the rare treasures that were being auctioned.

When a young person came out to the podium, he hit the gavel a couple of times to stop all conversations.

"Alright everyone, let's start the auction."

Just as he spoke, an elegant lady came out with a painting.

"The first few items will be paintings donated by the 'Academy of Fine Arts'. There are also a few students around, so you can find the talented artist behind these amazing paintings.

Almost all the paintings were sold around thousands and the most expensive was Wang Xiu Ying's selling at a couple of hundreds of thousands because she curried favor with many investors. Those that fell for her enchanting figure bid against each other; however, none of the mysterious individuals behind the black curtains has bid on a single item yet.

In front of the balconies were screens showing the amount, the person hidden, wanted to bid without exposing their voices. The black curtains obscured others from looking inside, but it allowed the people behind to see the items outside.

"Guests, this will be the last painting." The young man hit the gavel to bring everyone's attention to a conspicuous scene. The painting portrayed a single man with distinct features and the evident details complemented it. It represented a gifted artist with exception skills.

Zhang Yong was behind one of the black curtain immediately bid $500,000. Soon, many of the individuals behind the curtains began to bid. It quickly climbed to $1 million.

Ever since Zhang Yong saw the painting in class, he knew he wanted it. It was too important to lose. He glanced around to try to find Lin Xi, but the large amount of red strings covered his view.

He decided to focus on bidding and promptly doubled the price to $2 million. Sadly, another person hidden refused to give up and increased his bid to $2.5 million. Zhang Yong was irritated and raised it to $5 million.

When Lin Xi witnessed the scene, he thought the person has too much money. Spending it like water.

The person bidding against Zhang Yong gave up allowing him to win. Zhang Yong sighed in relief. Bai Ning and Xia Long almost fainted when they saw that their boss spend so much on a single painting.

The young man at the podium was grinning from ear to ear. He hastily brought out the other items. Lin Xi hasn't seen anything worthwhile and didn't bid a single penny. He was about to leave when the graceful lady came out with a glass box that surrounded a very familiar ring - a ring that eerily looked similar to his own around his neck.

Lin Xi: System!

System 1314 also saw the ring and instantaneously went back to his greenhouse where the ring was nowhere to be seen.

"Host... the ring isn't in the greenhouse." The system didn't know how the ring magically appeared in this world.

Lin Xi had his eyes focused on the ring and quickly bid $100,000. Whether he had that much money, he would have to figure out later. He seriously needed to have that ring in his hand to make sure it was his lover's.

Not that many people were interested, but when Zhang Yong saw the ring he had the desire to have it. Seeing that another person wanted it, he tried to out bid him by going up to $500,000.

Lin Xi saw that the rich person was out to bid for the ring.

He surely can not have enough money to get my painting and the ring - surely.

Lin Xi was clearly wrong because he bid $600,000 but was immediately out done when the other man put $1 million. Lin Xi wanted to cry because even the original Zheng Ru didn't have that much savings. He decided to try once more at $1.5 million, but Zhang Yong was not easily giving up. He directly doubled it to $3 million.

You rich bastard!

Lin Xi couldn't continue bid and gave up.

Lin Xi: System, quick tell me who got the ring!

System 1314: Host, I only have the power to track others, not monitor others.

What did you say?! Lin Xi menacing eyes looked at the glowing seedling in disbelief.

Lin Xi: I thought you upgraded!

"I need more energy." The system said guiltily.

Lin Xi couldn't bother to fight with the system and told him to quickly track the ring.

Back at Zhang Yong's apartment, he put the painting on his bedroom wall. For the ring, he went in a trance while staring at it. It had a single red rose and silver leaves connected it. The simple, but elegant design made Zhang Yong think of Zheng Ru.

Looking at the inside layer of the ring, he noticed engravings 'aeternum' which seems to be in Latin. He would need to investigate further, but at the moment, he had an urge to wear it. He felt like it belonged on his finger. 

When he slipped it on, he suddenly saw a red string around his pinky. Instead of flying towards his significant other, it wrapped around the ring. Just like that, the strings vanished as quickly as it appeared.

As if God was telling him that he no longer needed to continuously go searching for his fated partner and the ring would give him the answers he wanted.