Chapter 10

I was mad. Very mad. Very, very mad. I grew up raised by werewolves, with dozen of other kids. I learned to be a bitch. The frost in my voice was something I had never actually used, but seen it used so many times, it almost came naturally.

" J-Julie?" Luke's expression was...confused.

" That would be me. Your mate," I reminded him, channeling my inner bitch.

" I can explain," He offered.

" Don't bother," My bitchiness hid my hurt pretty damn well, " It's not you I want to talk to."

" Julie!" He pleaded.

" Just go," Hurt leaked into those words, and at the sound of my voice, tears filled my eyes.

He took a step toward me, " Julie-"

I closed my eyes and swallowed. I put my wolf away and dug into my brain, found Bitchy Julie and opened my eyes again.

" Which part of leave did you misunderstand? Or are you just having trouble finding the door?" Icicles practically grew on my words.

He left, slamming the door behind him. I looked up at Cynthia.

" Explain," I demanded.

" It wasn't his or my fault," She answered.

" Really? I'll judge that once you explain," I raised an eyebrow.

" It started long, long ago. He was the brave, strong, smart, responsible werewolf. A doctor. In the War of Wolves, he was an important player. It was a silent war, mostly consisting of spies. Still, many died. Lucas was caught and tortured, his wolf, which he controlled so carefully, became out of control. He needed a mate. The most efficient way to do that is to have a mate, but Lucas had left his pack. He needed help. He needed me or more people would die. So a faked a mate bond. It was very hard and driving dark magic, but I did it," She explained, " I'm a Black Witch. I was born evil, my very soul. I try to, make up for it."

" By stealing my mate?" I argued, fury jumping on my scary calm.

" No," She growled, " I love Jonathan. I always have. I always will. He left me. I am nothing without him!"

" Oh really, Caroline?" I implied the question and doubted her statement at the same time.

Her face suddenly turned sad, " I fell for him. Hard. I loved him with my very essence, but I had to stay away. I told him a fake name...so I could get too attached."

" That didn't work did it?" I growled back, still furious. For myself and for Jenny.

" I can't be with him. H-he needs a strong wolf, like Jennifer. I-I'm evil. I call demons. I've meet the Hellhounds. Controlled them. My power feeds off of pain and death. He deserves better. I hid what I was. What I could be. I played human...so I could see him- touch him," She looked like she was staring into a different world.

I needed to stay mad. Stop feeling sorry for her.

" What does this have to do with Lucas and you?" I asked.

" He thought I was you and I thought I was you. That we were mates. Someone brought back the fake mate bond," Cynthia explained.

" What does that mean?" I asked.

" It means that this sorcerer is very dangerous," Cynthia answered gravely.

" No. I mean that's important, but what does that mean in relation to Lucas?" I asked sort of shyly.

Cynthia smiled, " You two are made for each other. He thought I was you. He holds no blame."

I blinked and smiled, almost laughed in relief, " Thanks."

----------------------

Lucas was nowhere to be found and I was frustrated. So I went to work out. I did it whenever I was frustrated. The lights were already on.

" Jared?" I called.

" Yes, Beta?" A venomous voice answered.

" You okay?" I asked.

" My mate's dead and you killed her, you're not the one to ask," He muttered, slamming his fist against the punching bag.

That way didn't work. Oh, well. I had steam to blow off.

" Come," I ordered.

He gritted his teeth, but couldn't refuse my command. In three seconds he was in front of me, looking mad.

" Tell me," I demanded.

" Tell you what, oh mighty beta?" He hated that he had to respond to me.

" Did I ask for I question or an answer? As a Beta I couldn't be soft on my pack. We were wolves. We had to take it, or we died. My job was to protect my pack. Jared was part of my pack.

" An answer," He smirked.

" Then answer it, smartass!" I roared.

" You killed her. You could've helped her!" He shouted right back.

My gut clenched. I had killed too many for it to be very effective, but I still felt it, " Explain."

" She couldn't fight her wolf. She was controlled and her wolf took over. I felt it. It wasn't her fault, Jenny knew. Jonathan knew," He was mourning his lost mate.

" What could I've done?" Even I was afraid of the answer to that one.

But he didn't answer.

--------------------

Do you like Cynthia more? I can't kill her though. She's necessary if I make a sequel. Unless ya'll don't want one, which would be fine with me, I have enough stories. (By the way, we're almost half way to the end. I didn't plan it to be a long story.)