Chapter 7

**JULIE'S POV

I couldn't actually believe I was doing this. I was being challenged for a right to Lucas. I could always step down, it was what I wanted all along, freedom. I waited for my wolf to contradict me, to make me stay with him. When she didn't I realized I was counting on her to change my mind, because I wanted to keep my mate.

" I accept."

That shocked everyone more than Kelly did. Everyone but Jenny, who had a little smile on her face. I turned and looked at Kelly in the eyes, she had thought this was going to be easy.

" In wolf form," She demanded. She had seen me in wolf form...and that was embarrassing.

" To the death," I agreed; wolf form was always to the death, " With no surrender."

It was standard; in a training school for wolves, one learned a bit about challenges. Kelly's eyes widened, and I realized what I just did. I was going to keep my man, or die trying.

" The fight will be in the clearing at 3:00pm," Jenny declared, " You have two hours."

-----------------------

I shoved Lucas against a tree in the clearing, " What is your issue?"

The fight wasn't for another hour or so, but we decided to come early, to 'work things out'. That obviously wasn't working.

" What's yours?" Lucas countered, " You had to fight to the death for a man you wanted to cut off a mate bond with."

That cut me, but I already knew it, and had already faced it. Time to move on, " What's yours? You won't cut our bond."

" My wolf won't allow me," He allowed. Oh no, he did not just go there. Anger boiled inside of me.

" Why don't we practice?" I asked icily, " I have to fight for you. I'm going need skill, because obviously I don't have initiative."

His eyes widened, then narrowed and his teeth shoved themselves together. He was mad. Good. At least we have something in common.

I took my chance and forced my forearm across his neck and banging his head against the tree. He let out a low his and twisted my forearm and pushed me to the ground. Since the only pressure he had on me was on the back, my arms were free. I pushed myself into a push-up position. I felt t he pressure start to release, so a pushed myself off the ground, and twisted, forcing my heel into his chest.

He staggered backwards and glared at me. I quickly returned to my feet. This clearly wasn't practice, because we weren't in wolf form.

" Where were you?" He asked, circling me. He was clearly playing defensive, oh well, I was more of an offensive player.

I studied the position we were in, trying to find a weakness. His collar bone, if only I could get there, and an idea popped into my head.

" I was in training," I answered truthfully, but I wasn't focused on that.

I step forward, I raised my fist, faking a punch. When he automatically came to block, I was already there and I slammed my other hand down. I wouldn't have been able to do it if he wasn't expecting it. With his arms out of the way I kicked his collar bone and he fell backwards and I put my foot across his throat.

" What kind of training?" He hissed, " Your fighting isn't very professional."

That was true. I hadn't learned professional fighting until after months of getting beaten up. I learned how to defend and attack my own way. It had it's drawbacks, but it worked with my body.

" No it isn't," I agreed, " But who has who on the ground?"

God, I was distracted. I didn't really see Lucas as an opponent because he was my mate so my wolf didn't make me extra aware. I had no idea how much I relied on that extra awareness. That was why I didn't see it when Lucas swung his leg out to hit the back of my knee and fell on Lucas. He muttered something while he was doing it, it sounded like, ' I am only a medical professional.'

" Training for what?" He whispered to me.

" For wolves," I answered awkwardly, not wanting to divulge information.

" What do the wolves do?" He continued, and I could practically hear the impatience in his voice.

Once again I waited for my wolf to close up my mind, make me push myself off him and wait to fight. She didn't. Once again I realized I was counting on that.

" Assassination," I whispered gravely, this was it. What would he think of me?

He laughed. He actually laughed! Bastard!

" What about this is funny?" I demanded.

He looked at me seriously, " Julie, what kind of hits do you do?"

I knew that was coming, " I work for Jenny."

He fell into another fit of laughter and I kept grimacing. What on Earth could be so funny?

" Do I even have to ask?" I sighed.

" No, no, no. Look, darling, I work for Jonathan. You probably already know that though. I was worried about telling my sweet innocent mate about my work as an executioner. Then she demands a challenge to the death and reveals that she is in the same line of work," He was laughing the whole time.

I sighed, " Look Doc, about the ch-" I didn't get to finish, because he kissed me!

He actually kissed me. It was our first kiss. I couldn't believe it, we were mated for two years and we never even kissed. It was a short kiss, maybe a second long, but it sent a zing through my body and I stared at him.

With all my skills that had improved my love life had never. It was partly because of me being mated, so the only man I was attracted to was Lucas. It was also partly because in the last year, I didn't have a life. I mean, I have a free year to do nothing. What about college? Do I need to go to college? Where was there an assassin college?

All this inner babble about my future was making my head spin more than it already was. The only thing that cleared my head was the distinct sound of footstep close by. I got off of Lucas and we both stood up.

The fight was here.

------------

do ya'll like it?