18. The White Color

Chapter 18.

---

recap: in the previous chapter, Yì Rán began serving her new master, Madam. She was often asked about her veil but managed to give fake answers. She later on found out that she worked at Yú Manor, belonging to Minister Yú. He was the father of Consort Yú who was the birth mother of Second Prince. Two weeks after she started working there, the little girl received news that Second Prince would be coming down to eat and she had to follow Madam to welcome the Emperor's son. She continued to wear her veil when Second Prince was enjoying his meal but the latter seemed to be able to recognise her even when her face was hidden behind the veil.

---

The hallway was dimly-lit as no windows were built in place for sunlight to shine through. She only relied on the little rays of light that shone through the crooks and holes from the walls or corners. After confirming that Biān Lì was actually helping out at the kitchen that was short-handed due to the increasing number of customers, little Yì Rán turned around, having to immediately return to the room Second Prince was eating in.

Just as she was zoning out while walking through the dark corridor...Slam! The door of the empty room to her right was suddenly opened and she saw a hand holding it open from inside. Her heart was beating as rapid as when she ran, she was so surprised that she forgot what she was even thinking about earlier.

"Long time no see," a familiar voice was heard from inside the empty room and out of curiosity, the little girl stepped forward and peeked into the room, finding the familiar face she dreaded to see standing right at the entrance of the room.

"Yo-Your Highness..."

"Come in and close the door," he commanded and being the servant, she heeded.

"I thought we would never see each other again, but here we are. What are you doing here?" He asked as he leaned against the wall on his side.

"Your servant...is working for Madam."

"No wonder. So what is with the veil and the birthmark story?"

"I...that..."

"Hmm?"

"I...my aunt asked me to cover my face and about the birthmark...it is so that I do not have to take off my veil." Stuttering unconsciously, the girl pinched herself under her sleeves, hoping that it was just a nightmare but it disappointed her that the pain was a reality. Rather than nervous, she was more afraid that she had to take off her veil.

"Well...your aunt is smart too, asking you to cover your face and all," he replied nonchalantly after scrutinising the remaining features of her face that were not covered by the veil. He understood immediately why her aunt wanted her to cover her face. The exact same face of someone who used to earn the everlasting favour of the previous Emperor, could possibly do the same in this life. However, the owner of this face now was not as fortunate as the one before. She was not born to a family of high social standing, but to a family with hideous social standing, tomb cleaners.

"Huh?"

"No, nothing." They soon fell into silence, an awkward silence that made the girl more uncomfortable than the prince.

"So...how is Concubine Huā?"

"Uh? Oh...well...she is pregnant now. Father Emperor is really happy about it." Second Prince unknowingly scratched the back of his head while containing within him mixed feelings that he could not comprehend.

"Your servant is...sorry," Yì Rán added, feeling guilty for opening the wound of the prince in front of him.

"You do not have to. Maybe this is a blessing, otherwise I would have sinned. She is Father Emperor's concubine after all."