Chapter 2

*edited*

BISHARA

"Hey Mom, I'm going to Abasi's place to hang out. I'll be back for dinner!"

"Ok Honey, have fun!"

Abasi and I have been friends forever. At least, that's what it feels like. When we were little, we would play with each other every single day. Our mothers used to joke that we would end up getting married someday; we were so close. I never liked that, because I thought love was for old people, and I was never going to get old.

As I walk to his house, I wonder what Abasi's plan is today. He always has a new idea, and has come up with a very elaborate plan. Of course, he never actually does what he says he is going to do; there will always be something even more interesting that will catch his eye.

One time, Abasi decided he wanted to learn how to cook. He asked his mom to teach him. However, once he actually started making and preparing the food, he quickly realized that playing outside was much more fun.

As I walk along the path towards Abasi's place, I think about how fortunate my family is. We have a big house, compared to most families in our village. A lot of families just have small houses with one or two rooms, but we have about five or six!

I look around at the surrounding houses. They are all one story, and most of them have tiny cracks in the wall. I shiver just think about how cold it must get in there at night.

I reach Abasi's house in five minutes. "Abasi!" I call as I knock on the wood door. "Are you there?"

"Just a minute! I'm coming!" he calls back. I take this opportunity to closely examine his house. I have only ever glanced at it as I walk through the doorway. Now, I can see cracks along the structure, and even some weeds growing along the walls. The metal roof is caving in, and the house is on a slant. I run my hand along a wall. To my astonishment, it goes right through! When I pull my hand back, it's wet.

Abasi's family is not as well off as we are, but I didn't know how bad it actually was until now.

The door opens. I cringe as I hear the high pitched creak. I blurt out, "Abasi, you really need to get that fixed! And your house is just falling apart! Look at those giant weeds!"

"Ya, I know, Mom says that as soon as her boss starts paying her more than 400 shillings a day, she'll get it fixed." He looks down, not wanting to keep talking about his mother's pay check.

I know I have said the wrong thing. Embarrassment shows on his face, and he looks very uncomfortable. "Oh, I'm so sorry! Pretend I didn't say anything!" I try to recover from my slip up.

"No it's ok, you didn't know any better. Besides, it is getting pretty bad. Here, let's go to the park so we can get away from my family."

I smile. Abasi loves his family dearly, but having a mom, dad, four siblings, and a grandma in one small house can be suffocating.

"Ok, sure!"

......

The park is old, to say the least. The swing set is old and rusty, and one swing is hanging on by a corner. The slides are faded and broken, and the teeter totter desperately needs to be oiled and get a new paint job.

Even so, Abasi and I love to come here to get away from all the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives.

"So, how's life be-"

Our starting sentence that we always say is cut off.

"What is it, Bishara?"

A gruff voice answers. "It's your worst nightmare."

I hope you are liking this! Do you like the cliff hanger? Don't worry there'll be more! Sorry I have been busy, so I haven't updated it for a while. I probably won't update for a week or two because I'm going on a vacation! But you never know, I may update early!

Thanks!