Chapter 16

BISHARA

"Can you pick me up in an hour?" I ask Mom as I step out of the car.

"Sure. See you then, Honey!" I step back and wave as she exits the parking lot. I then open the doors and enter the stuffy, white hospital. I nod to the receptionist as the elevator doors open and I step in, choosing floor six. I follow the signs, looking for room number 616.

When I find it, I stick my head in. "Abasi?" I whisper.

I hear sheets ruffling. "Is that you, Bishara?"

I step into the room, and walk over to the side of his bed. "Yes, it's me. How are you? Sorry I haven't visited you yet, I've been pretty busy."

"That's fine, I've been pretty busy too, what with all of the nurses checking on me 24/7." Abasi chuckled.

I smile. "So, you don't remember what happened?" I ask, getting right to the point. I find it hard to believe that someone can forget one moment in life, but remember everything else.

"Yep. It's funny, I remember lots of things, just not how I got hurt. I know it's not full on amnesia, but what other kind is there?"

I sigh. "I'm not sure. The doctor will know. Why don't you call him in and ask him?"

"Ok." Abasi signals a nurse with his good hand.

"Yes?"

"Can you please get Dr. Owiti? Thanks."

When the doctor comes in, his hair is frazzled, and his glasses are upside down. I see him fumbling with his clipboard, trying not to drop it. When he finally grabs a secure hold of it, he looks up. "Ah, Abasi. You needed something?"

"Yes. I was wondering if you had diagnosed my memory loss yet."

"Oh. Yes. Uh, it's amnesia, for sure..."

"Yes but what kind of amnesia?" Abasi asks.

"Well, you see, um," Dr. Owiti twiddles his thumbs, glancing up at the ceiling. "Look, I'm very busy at the moment. We have a lot of patients coming in. I will talk to you later." Then he leaves. Just like that. But not before he drops a paper on the floor.

"I'm sorry, Abasi. I'm sure the doctor will let you know his diagnosis very soon." I walk slowly over to the paper, and pick it up.

"He doesn't know what kind of amnesia I have. He's never going to tell me; I'll never remember what happened."

"Abasi, look at this!" I say, and bring the lost piece of paper over to him. "It's a letter from the head of the hospitals in this region."

Dear Dr. Owiti,

It is to my great disappointment that I have to inform you that you must close your hospital. You simply are not getting enough patients staying long enough in your care for your hospital to be of use.

That said, there is a way to keep it open. I will give you one month. If you have 20 patients that stay in your care for over a week, I will not shut your hospital down. You may NOT take in fake patients (i.e. people pretending to be hurt), or purposely hurt them.

I will be visiting you in one month to see if you have reached your goal. Until then, good luck, and goodbye.

Sincerely,

Himaya Kabiga

Head of this region's hospitals.

"That's why Dr. Owiti didn't tell you what kind of amnesia you have, he wants you to stay here for over a week!"

Hello! I hope you liked this chapter. If you do, please comment/vote!

Thanks for sticking with me!