"Wait, what's that?" Your eyes widened in confusion, eyebrows knitting together.

Neon stared at you like you had two heads, "It's makeup. Now don't move."

It was pointless to argue anyway, so you sat there quietly listening to the two as they chose what products to use. Soon enough they got to work, drawing thick, black eyeliner and dabbing golden eyeshadow around the corners of your eyes. They even brushed your eyebrows, filling them in with gel. When they were finished, they started to curl your hair—putting it in a messy low bun.

Baise painted your lips with red lipstick before placing a black lace choker around your neck, shoving her hands in her pockets when she finished.

Melody gave you a warm smile as she handed you a black masquerade mask with lace embroidery. Both ends of the mask were pointed, lined with the trim of golden, metallic lace.

You quickly tied it on, "Thank you, Melody," You nodded at Baise, "Thank you too."

"Just make sure to show off for us," The tall woman smirked, following the excited Neon outside the room.

You and Melody trailed behind, "Are you not coming?"

"No, we're coming," She looked over her shoulder, "It's just some of us are lucky enough to get orders to guard from the outside."

"Oh. Are all of you going to be outside?"

"No, not all." She stepped into the elevator.

You sighed in relief at knowing that you weren't going to be alone.

"Dalzollene is backed up with paperwork so we don't know who's going to fill in for him yet until we get there."

Please be somebody good.

You followed Neon, Melody, and Baise into the parking lot—the sleek black limo waiting to be boarded. It felt different riding in a luxury car, but you knew this could be one of the only chances you had to ride it.

"Aren't you excited??" The pale blue-haired girl was practically bouncing on her feet, her eyes glistening behind the purple mask. "There's even a princess pageant to see who's best dressed!"

Neon rambled for about ten more minutes until the limo came to a stop in front of a tall building, glass windows glistening in the moonlight. Baise and Melody escorted both of you out of the car, but Neon couldn't wait any longer and dashed into the building without warning.

"Neon-sama, wait—" You sighed, picking up your dress to start running after her. But a tap to your shoulder made you look back.

Melody held an earpiece in her hand. You gave her a nod before sliding it in your ear.

"Make sure to press on it before talking," She explained as Baise started heading for her position, "And, (y/n),"

"Yes?"

The small woman took your hand with both of hers, squeezing lightly.

"I hear a heartbeat inside that's angry, troubled, anxious by the slightest." She squeezed tighter, "I know that whenever you're around, this heartbeat becomes calm and controls the anger. I know in the future you can make this heart happy or even break it even more—so please," She looked up into your irises with a hopeful glint in her eyes. "Please choose to make this heart happy."

A pang attacked your heart when you met her gaze—knowing exactly who she was talking about. You wanted so badly to tell her who you really were, why you were in this situation in the first place, about the feelings you yourself didn't know meant. You were stuck—tempted to tell her the truth or feed her even more lies right then, right now.

You could feel your heart sinking into your stomach when she started searching your eyes for an answer.

She should know.

All of them should know.

"Melody, I—" You could feel the pang forming into a bullet about to shoot through your heart, "That heartbeat, that person, deserves so much better. I can't give them better."

"A heartbeat always tells the truth," Melody released your hands, "But the mind can lie. Please consider that."

She walked away, trailing after Baise in the distance—and all you could do was was watch, knowing that your worst nightmare had come true.

That for once,

Your true feelings were starting to show.

— ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ —

YOOO,

Please don't forget to vote for my story in this year's HxH Fanfiction Competition!

How to vote:

1. Go to @PrincessConstance 's profile

2. Click on Vote Here book

3. Click on x Reader chapter

4. Comment: VOTE next to the Faded: Kurapika x Reader book

Award/Special Thank You If You Vote:

Author-san will cry in tears of happiness and give you the opportunity to request what character x Reader I should do next or request a oneshot!

Love, Kai ( ◠‿◠ )