Chapter 1

Today marked the eighth year of the fall of Tenebrae. However, it was a day for the Niflheim to celebrate their victory. This day made Ravus especially irascible, not only it reminded him of the death of his mother, but it also reminded him of how helpless he was. He paced in the room, trying to calm himself and ignore the cheers outside the building, while his cousin, as well as a brother and friend to him, quietly sat on the armchair.

"You're making me dizzy, Ravus," said Asclepius, "Come take a seat."

"I'm trying to calm down!" Ravus's patient failed him and he bristled with anger.

"I know you are. That's why I'm telling you to take a seat," Asclepius said calmly.

Ravus looked at him for a moment, then reluctantly took a seat next to him. There was something about Asclepius which made Ravus always listen to him. Perhaps of his calmness, or perhaps of his gentleness. Whatever it is, Ravus always listens to him.

"How could you manage to stay calm all the time?" letting out an impatient sigh, Ravus asked.

"Well, I somehow just managed to do so," Asclepius answered. "Imagine how our sisters would feel if they saw us behaving all reckless and irrational."

That got Ravus. He took a look at Asclepius and took a deep breath.

"You're right..." He wouldn't want their sisters to be worried.

Ravus suddenly recalled the day of the fall of Tenebrae. The Niflheim suddenly attacked them during the visit of the Lucian King and Prince. The war broke out within a second. Holding his young cousin, Euphemia, in his arms, young Ravus watched his mother killed in front of his very eyes. The Queen's brother, Fluvius and his son Asclepius were struggling in the flame of battle, while the Lucian King carried his son and rushed to safety, ignoring Ravus's beg of help. Ravus could still remember Fluvius calling out to Asclepius with his last breath, telling his son to take the rest of the family to safety.

Tenebrae fell within a day. With the adults gone, the Nox Fleuret family remained Asclepius and Ravus, both at the age of 16; Lunafreya, age of 12, and Euphemia, at the age of 6, and they all fell to the control of Niflheim. Though Asclepius was only a few months older than Ravus and was not the crown prince of Tenebrae, he took care of the rest of his family. However, most of the time he didn't have a choice.

Glancing at Ravus and seeing him had calmed his mind, Asclepius let out a light smile.

"You know you need to act more mature and calm if you wish to stay in the army, right?" Asclepius said, "Your recklessness won't do you any good."

Ravus remained silent. He knew it, but he couldn't help it. Seeking revenge on Lucis Caelum for abandoning Tenebrae, Ravus obstinately joined the Niflheim army at his young age, not knowing at the time that Asclepius joined with him just to make sure he's safe in the army. Ravus only found out Asclepius's intention when they were on their first mission. Though he never showed it, Ravus was both sorry and appreciated Asclepius staying by his side. Asclepius was always the one to stop him whenever he's acting reckless and irrational. Perhaps it's because Asclepius was with Ravus, Lunafreya felt less worry for her brother.

Knowing Ravus was still stubborn with his behaviour, Asclepius lightly grudged a sigh and changed the topic.

"Have you heard about the new ruin they found?"

"Yes," Ravus answered. He somehow sensed Asclepius was concerned about something, "I supposed that's where we'll go for our next mission?"

Asclepius remained silent as he frowned, which further drew Ravus's concern.

"What of it?"

Asclepius glanced at him and answered with a bitter voice, "Apparently they are going to send Euphie along with us."

Ravus's eyes widened as he heard the news. Euphemia was only on the field for one year, and all she did were the supportive works. No frontline battle. And not to mention her young age.

"You can't be serious! She's only 14!" Ravus leaned forward as he spoke with a surprise.

"I hope it was a mistake," Asclepius said reluctantly. He leaned forward and rested his arms on his knees, "They said either she goes to the Magitek Production Facility back in Niflheim or she goes with us for missions."

It was never a good sign of being sent to the Facility, for Niflheim did all sorts of experiments there. Especially since the emperor knew the outstanding fighting skills both Asclepius and Euphemia had, she would be very likely being tested if she was being sent to the Facility. That was something Asclepius never, ever, wanted to see.

"Does she know?"

"Yes," Asclepius still replied with his bitter voice, "I told her already. We are leaving next week."

"Are you seriously taking her with us?"

"It will be just for the look. I'm leaving her at the base," Asclepius assured him, "There's no way I'm taking her in the ruins with us. There's just too much uncertainty. We have no idea what sort of daemons we will face."

Ravus remained quiet. The Solheim ruins were crawling with dangerous daemons. Many they had never encountered before. It was already dangerous enough for him and Asclepius to go in, but now the Niflheim wanted a young girl to go along with them. It seemed like Niflheim was desperate for something. But what is it?