Chapter 8 - Second Exploration

The Imperial troops were once again ready for their second exploration. Just like before, the ruin lit up when the clock struck 8 at night, and Asclepius once again led his way in. They passed the entrance room with no daemons, then reached a long staircase. Loqi looked ahead. Bluish and reddish light dimmed in the dark. It was impossible to move forward without their flashlight. About a ten metres walk, they reached another hall. Just like the scanner had predicted, each side had six rooms. Just as Loqi moved a step forward, the hallgate once again shutted behind them. Another set of daemons crawled up from the ground -- 2 Iron Giants, 2 Red Giants, 2 Chandravarmas, and 4 Arachnes, 4 Ariadnes and 4 Ereshkigals. The platoon drew their weapons and fought. The Niffs opened fire at the Arachnes, Ariadnes and Ereshkigals, while the Tenebrean dealt with the Iron Giants, Red Giants, Chandravarmas, since they were bulletproof. Loqi called out his platoon for formation, and drawback while firing, in order to keep distance from the daemons. It worked. The Ereshkigals were first to vanish into the air, but the Arachnes and Ariadnes were tougher than they thought. Even so, Loqi and his platoon showed no fear to the daemons. Meanwhile, the Tenebraen showed perfect sync. One would dodge the enemies' attack, another would step up to attack and cover. Although the enemies were tough, it was only a matter of time they eliminated them. And soon, they did.

The gates in the hall slid open as the last enemy vanished into the air. Loqi withdrew his sword and put his pistol back into his holster. He glanced at Euphemia. Unlike the previous battle, Loqi could tell she didn't hold back this time. As they were about to check on the rooms, a deep rumbling sound echoed in the room. Gravels fell from the ceiling. Just as Euphemia looked up, boulders fell straight from above Loqi. Instinctively, Euphemia rushed and jumped onto him, pushing him away from the falling boulders. They covered their heads from the gravel, and the rumble quieted down soon after.

"Euphie!" Asclepius called out as he waved his arm to clear the dusty air.

Euphemia and Loqi crawled up from the ground. They looked up and saw they were in one of the rooms. The boulders had blocked the door, and it was impossible to get out.

"Are you alright?" Euphemia asked Loqi. He replied with a nod and patted the dust from his uniform, and so she called out, "We're fine here!"

"Anyway you can get out?" Asclepius asked.

Euphemia turned to look. Loqi had already checked out the place.

"We'll find one. You guys carry on with the mission," Loqi called out, "Scapha, you guys follow Lord Asclepius's instructions. We'll join up."

"Yes sir!"

There was nothing Asclepius and Ravus could do, and they had a mission to carry on. Ravus walked up to Asclepius, waiting for his words.

"...Let's go," hoping Euphemia would be fine with Loqi, Asclepius said.

His team quietly followed.