Chapter 16: Part 2

When I finally came to my senses again, I was lying on a table in a pristine lab, staring up into a face I had only ever dreamed of meeting. Sergeant James Barnes, Bucky, the winter soldier, the white wolf, each new name sounding more enticing than the last. I could feel pain all over, everything ached and the bright lights were hurting my eyes. I tried to sit up but Bucky quickly pushed me back down.

"Are you crazy?" He said, " you need to rest. Look, you were out for quite a while so I brought you to the only place I thought could help."

At that moment two men came bustling in, conversing rapidly in what must have been scientific terms but sounded to me like a whole load of gibberish. I caught Bucky's eye but he merely shrugged and pulled a face, evidently as confused as I was. I soon realised I recognised the voices, those of Bruce Banner and Tony Stark. They sounded concerned. I knew if I'd been brought here my injuries must have been severe. Bravely, I peered down to where the knife had hit me. It was not pretty. My trousers had been crudely torn off in order to access the wound, which was horrific. A large, jagged gash ripped down my thigh. A worn leather belt had been tightly bound just above the cut like a tornique in an attempt to stem the bleeding. I let out a cry that was a mixture of alarm and disgust. Instinctively I grabbed onto Bucky's hand for some level of comfort. Realising what I'd done I immediately apologised.

"That's alright." Said Bucky, blushing slightly, "It's instinct. It happens. "

I couldn't help but notice that he didn't let go either. At least not until Bruce approached the table to treat my leg.

"Got yourself quite banged up there. " the doctor said jokingly, "What were you doing exactly."

I gave him a brief rundown of my mission. The hidden base, the ambush, the interrogation, and my daring escape which led to my wound.

"Hydra?" Bruce said, "Yeah those guys are always trouble, you're lucky to be alive."

I nodded silently as he injected an anaesthetic into my leg. A numb relief began to wash down my leg and i sighed. Contented and exhausted I allowed myself to drift into a doze as the doctor stiched and disinfected my wounds as well as attempt to patch up my broken ribs.

I woke to the sounds of many voices, voices I knew. More had arrived since I'd fallen asleep including the captain Rogers himself, and what sounded like agent Coulson - my own supervising officer. They were talking about me I could tell. Attempting to decide on where I would stay.

"They have to stay here." Bruce declared, "It's too dangerous to move them, they're too unstable."

"I don't care." Coulson said, "My agents, My rules. They return to base with me."

There was a general outcry at this statement. It was clear no one else though I was fit enough to travel that far.

Suddenly one voice cut through the rest, sharp as a knife.

"They stay with me." Bucky stated, "I live close and I care take care of them."

It seemed Bucky's word was final. No one really bothered to argue anymore. It had gotten dark and people were wanting to go home. So, with an arm placed tenderly around my waist, Bucky helped me hobble all the way back to his place in Brooklyn. He carried me gently up the stairs to his bedroom and settled me in his bed, tossing me a pair of his pyjamas for me to change into instead of my bloodied and torn uniform.

"I'll take the couch." He said, "I'll only be downstairs if you need anything."

Impulsively I reached out and took his hand,

"Thank you, for your hospitality, and saving my life and everything."

Bucky looked at me, he leaned in slightly then hesitated. He stared at me, smiled then turned and strode out of the room. He later told me that he regretted not just kissing me there and then.

* 5 years later - the present day *

I turn the key in its lock and push open the front door. My golden retriever, Duggen, comes bounding up to greet me, throwing himself into my arms and licking my face.

"Down boy, down!" I command, laughing and pushing him off of me.

I walk into the kitchen and fling my bag onto the kitchen table where it promptly slides and falls off the other side onto the floor. Unsurprising. Just the kind of day I've had. I open the back door and let Duggen out into the backyard for a run around. Of course he immediately goes and rolls in the mud.

The clock strikes 7 as I head into the living room to watch some tv. There on the sofa is my partner, and best friend. Exhausted I flop down onto the couch and he pulls me close. He kisses my forehead and puts an arm around me as i breathe in the familiar scent of Bucky Barnes. Duggen comes running in and leaps on top of us, covering us in mud. He's a pain in the ass but I still love him. Life is good.

Avengers one shotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें