Chapter 15: Peter

Peter walked timidly into the shield headquaters. As he opened the door he half expected the whole room to turn and stare at him but, upon entry, not one head turned, no one even batted an eyelid. Peter slung his backpack off his shoulders and pulled his phone out of the front pocket. No texts. Unsurprising. He'd have to fake it, again...

Peter strolled across the lobby as he stared at his phone, faking a text message so nobody tried to talk to him. Suddenly he was knocked sideways as a young woman came rushing past, smacking into him as she went. Peter looked up abruptly and saw she was beautiful. Dark hair that went in a wave across he shoulders and down her back. Tall and lean with black heeled boots, she towered over Peter, arms crossed against her chest. She stared at him with a puzzled expression plastered on her face.

"Can i help you?" She asked,

"No I... I"  Peter stammered, "I just think you're very pretty"

Peter slapped his hand over his mouth when he realised what he'd said and turned beetroot red. Luckily the woman just laughed and patted his head.

"You're cute." She said, "I'm Daisy." she held out her hand and Peter shook it.

"Peter," he replied, "Peter Parker."

"No way!" She said, " The spider guy. From youtube? That is so cool."

"Anyway I'd better get going. I have a meeting with an agent Coulson." Peter said,

"Oh Coulson, he's my superior officer. I'll take you to him."

Daisy began to walk away, beckoning for him to follow.  Peter followed, trotting a little in order to keep up with her. They walked down corridor after corridor twisting and turning until Peter had lost all sense of direction. They only stopped when a door ahead of them was kicked open and a squadron of hydra agents stormed in, guns blazing, yelling at everyone to get on the ground.

Immediatly Peter lept into action. He dove into the nearest closet and pulled his suit from his backpack. He struggled into it in the small room, bashing into shelves as he hopped around trying to get his feet in. As soon as he had his mask on he burst out and swung into action. He could see a group of hydra's goons holding a small number of shield agents hostage further down the hallway. Carefully, with precise aim, Peter shot out some webbing - sticking the hydra agents to the far wall so the young shield recruits could make a run for it. He looked out of the corner of his eye to see Daisy using some sort of telekenesis, or so he thought, to throw the hydra guys around the room, smashing them through the floor or tossing them out of the window. He stared in amazement for a solid minute before Daisy looked over and shouted:

"Hey Webhead! Try doing something useful will you?" Causing Peter to snap out of it and jump right back into the action.

Slowly but surely the pair cleared the hallway and finally they had reached the breeched door, puffing and panting but safe at last. He looked up at Daisy and the pair burst out laughing, exhilerated and high on adrenaline after the battle. After they had caught their breath and had a moment to recooperate. Daisy indicated to the door that the hydra agents had come through.

"Coulson should be just in there." She panted, "He'll tell you what you should be doing."

Peter nodded and cautiously approached the door and pushed it open. The room on the other side was dark and stuffy. There was a table with a single chair in the middle of the room. Other than that it was bare. Peter dropped his backpack on the table and nervously sat down in the chair. A mirror stood on the wall to his left and as Peter stared at his own reflection he figured it was probably two way and someone would be judging him from the other side.

After a moment he called out: "Hello? Is anyone here?"

He was met with silence which Peter took to mean he was alone. He turned back to the door, wondering if Daisy had set him up or something.

Suddenly a figure stepped out from the corner. Illuminated now by the single bulb above Peter's head. Peter looked up into a worn face.

"Mr Parker," the figure said, "Welcome to shield."

And into the light stepped Phillip Coulson.

"Sorry," he said, "that corner was really dark and i couldn't help myself..."