Chapter 13

They don't even reach the end of the hallway without crossing one of the Lord's commanders. The man is stunned for a moment when he sees Declan towering over him but when his gaze catches Elizabeth, he swiftly draws his weapon. "Hold! You're not allowed to leave the ....," with one hand Declan pushes Liz behind him before drawing his own knifes.

The commander can't speak anymore when with one haul of Declan's hand sliced open his throat. Liz holds her own hands before her lips, keeping herself from shouting when seeing the blood spurt out of the soldier's throat. The man buckles and falls on the wooded floor. The crimson liquid spreading over the floor and almost reaching her shoes.

She's trembling on her feet but when Declan reaches for her chin to look up at him, his dark eyes urge her to regain her posture. And Liz does. Knowing this is their only chance to get out of Benton's mansion. Declan holds out his hand for her to take before moving fast again.

Liz must run to keep up with his long strides and after encountering three more soldiers, and Declan killing them all, they're finally out of the mansion and into the yard. There's yelling everywhere. The heat of the flames from the nearby barn is burning on her cheeks. Declan holds still for a moment, scanning the men around them and concluding they can move safely from here to the forest nearby.

"Cover your hair," he grunts, pulling of his coat and draping across her shoulders. He smirks with approval when Liz does what he says and pulls the hood over her head. "We've gotta move fast. Don't hesitate. When someone yells at you, keep moving," he says before pulling her with him again.

As soon as they hit the smaller side road, the noise around them calms down. They encounter only one more man, but he's a civilian who's helping to put the fires out. The man doesn't even seem to notice them because he's in a hurry. Although she's breathing heavily, seeing the small mists escaping her lips, Liz doesn't feel the cold.

After walking a few minutes, Declan suddenly changes direction and leads her into the forest. Climbing over fallen down trees and making sure she doesn't fall over the roots sticking out from the ground, he guides her slowly towards a small clearing. A fire is burning and Liz notices Sokanon standing up.

And then it suddenly dawns here, pulling Declan's sleeve and getting his attention. "Michael? Clenna?"

He shrugs. "She didn't want to join him," was his short reply before turning his attention fully to Liz. Somewhere in the background, Sokanon disappears from her view and into the covering of the trees.

"Did he hurt you?"

His voice is calm, tender in a way that makes her heartbeat speed up. Declan lets his finger travel her cheek for a moment before she shakes her head. "No. He didn't touch me." Swallowing hard while locking eyes with him.

Declan shrugs, pulling his hand back and walking towards the fire. Already missing his presence close to her, Liz follows. He's grabbing something from a bag before throwing it at her. "If you don't mind giving my coat back," he grins. "It's fucking cold."

The wolf fur he just threw at her, makes her smile wide and Liz nods with tears in her eyes. "Of course," her voice is hoarse, taking of the way too large coat and offering it to him.

The moment the wolf fur is around her shoulders, Liz inhales the scent of burning wood and smiles. Making Declan look her while poking the fire before him. She locks eyes with him before sitting down next to him on one of the logs.

They both sat in silence for some time while gazing into the fire. It wasn't uncomfortable but peaceful. It was Liz who broke the silence while her eyes keep locked on the fire.

"He took my house," she murmured, not hiding the emotions in her tone. "He took the last thing I had."

Declan didn't reply but she could feel his eyes on her. It was only when his finger touched her shoulder that she glanced up at him. His lips are curled up in a half smile and he shakes his head while pinching the fur around her shoulders.

"Not everything," he mutters before turning his attention back to the fire. And Elizabeth grinned while nodding slowly. Leaning her head on her hands and closing her eyes, letting the flames warm her skin.

"No, not everything," she agreed, pulling the fur closer to her. "Thank you."