Chapter 3: Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

"What is going on here?!," a voice asked in the background.

The voice almost sounded familiar to Maxwell. As footsteps approached Annabelle in the background. When the figure finally arrived at the doorstep, adding more to Maxwell's shock, he saw none other than Todd, his best friend.

"This...this man...just popped up out of nowhere and scared the living hell out of Eva," Annabelle said trying to hold back her frustration.

"Go inside luv. I'll take care of this," Todd replied.

"L-l-l-luv..?," Maxwell softly said to himself, horrified of what he was witnessing.

"But honey..," Annabelle said.

"I said go inside. See how Eva and Jeoffrey are doing. Don't worry about it. Everything will be fine," Todd assured with a smile.

"O-okay...," Annabelle said.

Todd gave her a kiss on the cheek before she went back in the house. Todd turned his attention to Maxwell as he faced him and locked the door behind him.

"Luv....," Maxwell said as his face began to feel numb.

"Now listen here you bloke....," Todd said.

"Luv...,"

"I don't know who you are or why you're here mate. But you're abruptly disturbing the peace of my family and that's not really sitting well with me at all man,"

"Y-y-your....family,"

"So here's what? Why don't you go beg from someone else because we don't have anything to give you,"

"Your....Fam-....Family!!," Maxwell began to flare up with anger.

Todd backed off a little.

"Listen man....if you don't leave right now, I'll call the cops,"

As Maxwell huffed with anger as he found it hard to breathe. Suddenly he took one of his wooden crutches and violently threw it at Todd who smartly dodged it as it thudded against the concrete wall.

"Bloodly hell ma-.....alright fine! Cops it is!," Todd shouted before retreating into the house and locking the doors.

Tears flowed down Maxwell's eyes.

"Your.....Family?! That is MY FAMILY....MYYY FAMILYYY!," he screamed before scratching, clawing and beating against the door.

Roughly an hour or two past before the cops came to arrest him and forcefully removing him from the residents while the poor man was kicking and screaming.

Maxwell felt confused and betrayed as he tried to piece together the past moments together while he sat behind bars at the police station. Being permanently scarred and injured in battle is one thing....but losing his family....to his closest friend? Well that's another wound entirely.

Days past as Maxwell was hold in that cell until one day he was taken out of his cell and placed in the interrogation room.

As hours passed, he wondered why was he here among alot of other questions but honestly, Maxwell began to feel indifferent as his mind slowly started to wonder away into madness. He now felt like an empty shell having nothing more to lose in his life and he was once again preparing for the worst.

Beginning to feel drowsy the door opened and stepped in a dashing gentlemen wearing a seemingly expensive suit.

Shutting the door behind him he turned to face Maxwell.

"Trespassing and disturbing....the peace. Quite a ruckus you stirred up these past days might I say Mr. John Doe," the man said with a charming exuberance.

Maxwell remained silent.

The gentleman found himself beside Maxwell casually leaned against metal table in front of Maxwell.

"You maybe wondering who I am. Well just consider me your everyday, but not so cheap, lawyer who's here to get you out of this sticky situation," he said as he looked at Maxwell with a smile.

Maxwell remained silent as he continued to look in front of him.

The lawyer's smile disappeared.

"I'm sure you're wondering at this point why am I here in the first place since you didn't ask for any lawyer. Well allow me to explain. Though you're case seems so simple on paper, the fact remains that you are a very peculiar person,"

Maxwell remain silent.

The lawyer chuckled as he continued.

"I mean....seriously. Through thorough searching basically nothing came up for you on the system. No name, no date of birth, no place of birth...no family...nothing. Can't even get a fingerprint of you because their singed to shi-.... Excuse of my language.,"

Maxwell still remained silent.

"So basically when it comes down to it....you're nothing but a ghost. Which means nothing to these cops but to my employers?....Well that's something else entirely,"

Noticed Maxwell hasn't responded nor budge one bit. He just sat quietly in that metal chair

The lawyer smiled.

"Well John Doe, let's get down to business,"

The lawyer leaned over to Maxwell.

"Or...do you more respond to name...Maxwell Armstrong?," the lawyer smiled.

Suddenly Maxwell slowly looked at the lawyer as he finally caught his attention.