Chapter 2: Regrets

"Hey what are you doing outside, you silly bloke?," a voice called out to Maxwell.

Maxwell was a bit startled as he spun around to meet this mysterious voice. Soon after all was made clear to him when the shimmer of the moonlight revealed a beautiful young woman.

"Ohh.....well uhh," Maxwell said nervously.

"You know. Normally most men would be thrilled when their wives throw them a suprise birthday beach party allll the way in the Caribbean. Unless.....," she teased.

"No no no. I'm happy that you went out of your way to do......all of this," Maxwell tried to assure the young woman.

"Yet you're out here looking at the waves and brooding while everyone else is inside having fun," she jeered.

Maxwell gave a deep sigh.

"I'm....I'm sorry Annabelle," Maxwell said before turning his back to her so he can once again gaze at the moon shimmering across the vast ocean with his toes curled up in the white sand while the cool breeze wisked against his face which carried the scent of sea water to tickle his nose.

"Now that's quite something," Annabelle said as she walked and stood in front of Maxwell and curiously peered up into his face.

"It's been awhile since my husband called me by my first name. And, as far as I can recall, he only does that if something is truly bothering him. So....what's wrong sweetheart?," she asked with concern.

"If you know me as well as you do, you should know what's on my mind," he replied.

Annabelle bit the side of her lip while brushing back the strands of hair the cool breeze left on her face.

"Ok...Listen Max. I know that we haven't been on the same page for the past couple of days. But despite that I still want us to be on good terms. I want us...to be ok. Not just for our sake but also for our children," she pleaded.

"So you're okay with me leaving then?," he asked.

Annabelle shook her head slowly.

"No.......no. I'm still not okay with you leaving. I was never okay with you leaving before and I'm definitely not okay with you leaving now. You know that Max!," she scolded softly.

"Well like I said, it's a soldier's responsibility to serve his country,"

"Does that includes dying as well?," she asked.

"Hey, stop it Anna! That's not going to happen!," he firmly assured.

"You don't know that! You-...,"

"Anna......please!," he said before holding his wife while looking into her eyes. "Nothing bad is going to happen,"

Tears welled up in Annabelle's eyes as she struggle to find the words to speak.

"Hey now now! No tears," Maxwell said while wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Remember I told you. This is my last mission. So when it's all over I'll be back before you know it.....and for good this time," he assured.

"You....you promise?!," she asked.

"No not promise. I guarantee it. And when I return, we can finally go out on trips, picnics, movies even visit your parents and have your dad bore me about his usual fishing trips or his university glory days," he said.

Annabelle giggled.

"Oh stop it Max, I know you adore him all the same," she scolded.