Kelly, still rubbing her throat, stands and looks at Kade and I, “Sure, I’ll take Troy downstairs to Panic room A. Keep us informed of all developments, I want this shit outta my system, I can already feel it doing its evil,” she says.

……

Kade and I are alone in the chill-out area, “I so wish my mom would help us now,” he says. “I’m sure she’s doing all she can. All we can hope is that The Surgeon’s proposal is something I can deal with,” I say, trying to remain optimistic. I can see the strain etched on Kade’s face, “It bugs me how she knows it was me that broke Troy’s band,” he says, with a weary voice. “I wonder if I left the video share option on,” he says, approaching the monitor. But before he can reach it the words: ACCESS REQUEST flash onto the screen and my heart leaps into my mouth.

……

The Surgeon is back, and she has company – Professor Merton.

The Professor is so withered and lined that next to the stretched smoothness of The surgeon her face looks like a big walnut. “Hello again, Tanya. You remember Professor Merton, don’t you,” says The Surgeon. “Yes, I do,” I reply, with a respectful nod (fake) in her direction. The Surgeon smiles, “Together we have been discussing your offer and have come to a decision.” She pauses.

I prompt her pause, “And that decision is?”

“Professor Merton will bring the viral antidote with her when she arrives with her team,” she says. This sounds all too easy, “And what do I have to do in return?” The Surgeon’s smile stretches wide, “Do you really need to ask, Tanya?”

“Yes, I do.”

She rolls her eyes, “We will resume our original Clinical Trial with you as our subject.”

“So, what do I have to do?”

“Firstly, please pretty yourself up. If you don’t look beautifully feminine by the time my team arrive they will deny Kelly her cure.”

“Why not Troy his cure?” I ask.

“His treatment is our priority and will be initiated immediately on the arrival of my team. We want him fully recovered and at his handsome best for your Wedding,” she says, with a proud mother of the bride smirk.

Kade shoots me a glance, “So you want me to marry Troy?” I ask.

“That’s correct,” confirms The Surgeon.

“What about Charlie and Brigitte, everybody’s geared up for their wedding, won’t they be disappointed?” I ask.

The Surgeon waves a dismissive hand, “They will be downgraded, Brigitte to your Matron of honor and Charles to your best man. Now Tanya, we need to see your commitment to our clinical Trial and your marriage, so can you make yourself pretty for Troy’s proposal, we will give you approximately two hours to make yourself look proposal perfect. Please ensure Troy wears a surgical mask, there are some in the ambulance you stole from us. I shall invite various senior members of my team to witness this momentous occasion – so DO NOT let me down – do you understand?”

“Yes, I do,” I reply, with a compliant smile.

……

When the video is cut, I’m hit with a surge of hope and look at Kade, “I can deal with this; Troy and I can bluff our way through it,” I say.

Kade doesn’t share my enthusiasm, “You don’t need to ‘pretty yourself up’ you look great just the way you are,” he says, with a downbeat tone.

“Ahhh, thanks – but they like me looking ‘Disney Princess’ pretty.” I’m hit with a potential problem, “SHOOT! I don’t have any make-up or a dress, I threw all that junk away when I escaped – does Kelly have make-up?” I ask.

“I guess so, you need to ask her,” he says, with a kind of disinterested tone.

“Hey Kade, come on, this is good news – are you OK?”

He smiles, “Sure I am, I’m just tired and a little frazzled, that’s all.”

“Ok – I need to get ready, fast. I’ll go get the surgical masks, you go get Troy and Kelly,” I say, en-route to the ambulance.

……

Despite their early symptoms both Troy and Kelly brighten up when I tell them of the antidote deal while giving them their surgical masks.

And Kelly has make-up – yeah! “Ok guys, I need your help, who can think of a Disney Princess with short hair?” I ask.

“What’s a Disney Princess?” Asks Troy, his voice a little muffled through the mask.

I see the surprise in Kelly’s eyes, “What – like you’ve not seen the movie Frozen?”

“I haven’t seen any movie,” replies Troy.

Kelly chuckles and shouts over to me, “You can be Rapunzel, when she’s had her hair chopped off.”

“Genius, Kelly. Have you got any pink dresses?”

“No, but I thing we have pink drapes in my parents bedroom, we can get creative and improvise,” she says, grabbing my hand.

…….

OMG! Kelly and I have done real good, I look like a mash up of a Disney Princess and My little Pony. We even found some clip in hairpieces that almost match my hair color, I look hideous but I know The surgeon and co will love this look.

……

Kade is so not impressed; he shakes his head when Kelly and I walk in. His reaction pisses Kelly off, “Hey, come on Kade, Tanya looks like this for very good reason – remember that,” she says.

He throws me a sad, apologetic glance, “I know, and I really appreciate you Tan,” he says.

You’d never guess Kelly is struggling with a sore throat, she’s so full of enthusiasm, “They’ll be here soon, Troy, do you need to rehearse your proposal?” She asks. Kade cuts in, “No, he doesn’t…anyways, they’re here already, he says pointing to the ACCESS request flashing on the screen.

……

I take a deep breath, “Kade, don’t allow access yet, we need to get in position.” Troy is fixing his hair and adjusting his surgical mask, “Troy you stand here, so we’re both in shot,” I say.

“OK – lets do this – hit it Kade.

……

We have quite an audience – I count ten people, including The Surgeon and Professor Merton. We get off to a good start, “That’s so much better, Tanya, you look so pretty,” says The Surgeon. “Thank you, I feel pretty,” I lie. The Surgeon smiles, “OK, we are all excited to witness this very special occasion. When you’re ready Troy, do what you have been bred to do,” she says.

Troy drops to one knee, takes my hand, looks up into my eyes and says, “My precious Tanya, I love you with all of my heart and want to spend the rest of my life with you – will you marry me?”

“Yes, I will,” I reply, with my biggest smile. The audience erupts in cheers and loud applause.

When the celebratory sounds die down The Surgeon continues, “How wonderful. Now when my team arrives they will immediately administer the antidote to Troy. Kelly will only be given her antidote when you, Tanya, surrender yourself to my Clinical team who will take yourself and Troy away to begin your brief courtship before The wedding. Your first date has been arranged, it’s a private screening of the movie Frozen,” she says.

Shoot – I thought this all sounded too easy. My minds whirring but I keep my eyes glued on The Surgeon; I don’t want her to see any signs of second thoughts on my face.

She continues to talk but Kade momentarily blocks my view of her as he slopes by with his head held low.

The Surgeon notices, “Kade, how utterly rude and disrespectful to walk away whilst I’m talking, you’re just like your Father. If you value your sisters life you will get back here – NOW!”

He ignores her and continues to walk outwards.

“Kade, come back, please,” I shout, slightly panicked.

He ignores me, walks out and doesn’t look back…