VIII

Gabriel was getting used to the feeling of walking as Amell helped him through the streets. The feel of the cobble stone street underneath his feet was an entirely new sensation. Having feet was a new sensation. The smells, the sights, the feelings, were all so new to Gabriel.

"Amell, this is wonderful." Gabriel said to Amell.

"This is only the back street. Tomorrow we see the real spirit of the Mainland." Amell responded.

Gabriel had soon fallen out of conciseness. The excitement of the transformation had wiped him out. Amell was carrying his full weight all the way to his home.

He had made good money in his youth on fishing boats, so his house was fairly big. It was a cottage with bedrooms to spare. It had a hearth in the main room but, there was only one small problem.

"Where have you been, where have you been!" She yelled.

"Abigail! Rather than yelling at me how about some help." Amell called back.

She ran down to help Amell with Gabriel. They carried him inside and laid him on the table in the kitchen.

"Brother, what have you brought home this time!?" Abigail yelled.

"Shhhh. Shut up, just shut up. We should take him to my bedroom, let the boy sleep." Amell whispered so he wouldn't wake Gabriel.

"But who the hell is he. We already have three people living in this house! We can't take any more!" She yelled.

"You two are only living here because your husband died! Now shut up and help me get him upstairs."

The two quarreling siblings carried an unconscious Gabriel up the stairs. Abigail wouldn't let Amell ever hear the end of it. His sister and her daughter were already living with him. They put him in Amell's bed and covered him with a homemade quilt.

"Who is that boy Amell?" Abigail asked.

"That.....that...is my son." Amell said pointing to him. "His name is Gabriel. He came and found me. He ran away from his mother and has nowhere else to turn. What was I supposed to do leave him out on the streets? Leave my own flesh and blood out in the world alone. Would you have liked it if I did the same to you and your daughter?"

Abigail shook her head.

"So you had a son. Outside of wedlock. Do....you....are you sure he's yours? He doesn't look a damned thing like you." She said.

"Yes. I'm sure he's mine. I love him too. He just happens to look like his mother." Amell lied, although he did love Gabriel.

Abigail moved closer to the sleeping Gabriel. She looked at him from all angles. Amell didn't care as long as she didn't wake him. Gabriel need to sleep.

"I guess I could see him being yours, under the right light." Abigail said. "But what about Emily? She'll be just as upset."

"I'll tell her what I told you." Amell said.

Abigail waved her arms in the air with anger.

"I told him that working on a ship would get him in trouble. But did he listen noooo, of course not." She huffed angrily.

Amell shook his head. His younger sister was always at his neck. Amell sat down next to Gabriel. Gabriel looked rather peaceful. Amell couldn't stop thinking about Malin when he saw Gabriel. It was the thoughts of his late lover tore at his mind when he saw the boy. He looked too much like him.

"Damn. I have to find something for you to wear when you wake up, boy."