Chapter 56: Welcome to the Tombs

Carter's P.O.V

 Packing my things, my hands grasp the lighter with Daryl's initials on them. My fingers moves over the two letters, a small smile on my face before placing it in my pocket, zipping up my bag. I throw it over my shoulder, moving down the stairs before following Carl outside.

 Placing my bag in the car, Beth helps before she sits in the car. Merle knocked out cold in the back from all the medicine. Walking over to Daryl, Carol gives me small smile, walking past me. Placing my fingers in my pockets, he looks up at me, handing a quiver partially filled with bolts, slinging his over his own back.

 " Merle never did anything like that," he finally says after a moment. " And if not for you he would've died."

 " I didn't do much," I shrug, " only helped a bit." I place my hand out for him, which he takes after a moment. Pulling him up, he tosses his crossbow over his shoulder as I grip mine. I give a small nod before he wraps his arms around me, his grip tightening on me.

 " I love you," he whispers.

 " And I'll tell you the same once we get back." I look up, smiling before walking away from him, knowing I'll see him again.

---

Carter's P.O.V

 Sitting on top of the car as Beth, Carl and Hershel watch what's happening at the prison, me looking through the scope of the hunting rifle.

 " I should be there," Carl admits, staring at the destruction.

 " I should too," I admit too, Carl looking back at me. " But we gotta stay here. Get over it," I shrug, looking through the scope again. The Governors men drive off, a pair of feet making me hop off the car. I aim the rifle, seeing a young kid running to us.

 " Don't shot!"

 " Drop the weapon," I state, him agreeing quickly.

 " Here, take it." He slowly moves the shotgun towards Carl, only for a suppressed shot to ring out. I lower my gun, seeing the boy dead, and Carl with one less of a bullet.

 " Give me the gun." The kid looks at me as if I've gone insane.

 " What? No!"

 " If you don't give it by will I'll take it by force. Now." He stares for a moment before pushing the gun into my chest. I take off the suppressor, placing the gun in safety before it's placed in my pocket. I move my head toward the two Greene members, Beth helping her father into the back seat before sitting up front. I start the car, driving back to the prison, but not before taking the dead kids gun. Closing his eyes in respect.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Walking into the prison, I carry the limp Merle into the cell block, Daryl helping me halfway through. We drop him on the bed in the last cell block, trying to catch our breaths." You know I'm coming with you to Woodbury?" I question, making him look over at me.

 " No, Cart-"

 " If you think I'm sick I'm fine. Merle has others looking out for him. Just because I saved his ass doesn't mean he wants me to do it again." He slowly nods, letting it sink in before Rick walks over to us.

 " I need to speak with you Carter." I give Daryl's arm a soft squeeze before walking out of the cell, moving to lounge area as Carl passes up before moving into his cell. " What happened with the soldier?" he questions.

 " He was some kid. Probably heard the gunshots from the prison and accidentally ran into us. Here." I hand him the shotgun, Rick placing it on the table. " He was scared out his mind."

 " But he drew on you-"

 " He was handing his gun over when Carl shot," I emphasize, taking Carl's gun and suppressor out of my back pocket. " I took it from him because of that. You can give it back to him, but I wouldn't recommend it. Talk to Hershel." I place the two pieces in his hand, walking outside.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 With my grip around Daryl's waist, Rick's truck follows us, only to stop once we see the Governor's vehicles. A few walkers eating dead bodies all over the area.

 " It's a massacre," I mumble, keeping my guard up. I move to open one of the truck, only to jump back once a figure hits the window, I open the door, Rick aiming his gun as I aim my crossbow at the woman. She gets out slowly, Rick forcing her to explain.

 " The Governor did this. He killed them all, without a second thought. He killed them-" She chokes back a sob, hiding her mouth behind her hand. I slowly let my guard down, follow her eyes to the field. I jog through the tall grass, seeing bullets through the heads of his soldiers.

 " She could be lying," I hear Rick state.

 " She's not," I respond, making the three look over at me, seeing the massacre in front of us.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Moving quietly, we see the gates of Woodbury, our guns ready before a shot is fired. We fire back before the woman named Karen begins to yell. Rick tries to pull her down but she continues, moving closer to the wall.

 " Where's the Governor?" the man behind the wall yells.

 " He fired on everyone. He killed them all." It goes quiet for a moment before they question why we're here. " They saved me."

 " We're coming out!" Rick finally yells. He slowly stands up as we follow, our weapons up. We walk towards the gate, a man and a woman opening the gates before walking towards us.

 " What are you doing here?" the man questions.

 " We were coming to finish this until we saw what the Governor did. He killed them all. Karen told us Andrea hopped the wall, going for the prison. She never made it. She might be here." Moving past the two, we follow Rick. The girl nudges me, making me look at her.

 " I need your help." I look back at my group, Michonne giving me a nod since the man is with them. I nod back, motioning for the girl to move. I follow her through the town, seeing the place looking untouched. We stop in front of a house. " I need you to put your rifle up." I only raise a brow. " There are children and elderly in here." I only shake my head, placing the rifle on my shoulder.

 " So what are you a babysitter?" I question, her opening the door.

 " You could say that. I'm Sasha."

 " Carter." Moving with her into the small room, I slowly take in the room, seeing it filled with children and elderly people.

 " I need you to keep an eye on them with me. You know they're not gonna last long if right?"

 " We can take 'em in," I finally answer, a small toddler wrapping it's arms around my calf. " What do I with this?" I question, lifting my foot up, the kid on my leg like glue. He finally lets go of my leg, hopping up and down with his arms out. I give a confused expression before Sasha laughs.

 " He wants to be picked up." I crouch down, him hopping into my arms before I stand back up, his legs around my torso. He hides his face in the crook of my neck, making me give a slight chuckle. " His name's Bryan." I look over at the dark woman, a small smile forming on my face as I rock him to sleep.

 " Hi!" I look down at my feet, seeing a girl with dirty blond hair looking up at me. " I'm Sophie!" I bite my lip, giving a sad smile. She begins chatting away, Sasha having a small smile on her face as well. The door creaks open, making me look up and see Daryl walking in. I smile at him, only for it to disappear, the look on his face telling the story.