Chapter 41 (2/2): Killer Within

Carter's P.O.V

 Moving quickly, I try to find my way through the corridors. Glancing back every now and then as alarms begin to blare. Lori stops for a moment, making me look back as she leans against a wall. " Hell you doing?" I ask, moving back to her.

 " Something's not right..."

 " You bit?"

 " No, no, no, no. I think the baby's coming!"

 " What!" I exclaim. She begins to groan in pain as walkers arrive the side were moving towards. " Hold the shit in! Turn back!" We keep moving as fast as we could, Lori's grip tightening on my shoulder. Carl leads until he finds a door, opening it for both of us to get in. He closes it behind us as Lori tries to hold in the sounds of pain, the walkers passing us.

 " What- What are the alarms?" she questions.

 " Don't matter, they're distracting them anyhow." I look back at the lady, seeing her in more pain than before. " I-Um, lay down."

 " No, the baby's coming now."

 " No it ain't! We need Hershel, this can't be happening now!"

 " We have to get Hershel!" Carl adds.

 " Oh shit," I think for a moment, the first idea coming to mind. " Take your pants off. You're giving birth here." She follows my instrusctions, pulling her pants off before laying down. I place the pants underneath her, trying to make it more comfortable. " I'll need your help with this Carl, alright?"

 " Do you know how do this?" he asks.

 " I know the basics." I look down, trying to see any basic signs. " I can't tell which way it's comin' out. You gotta push." I help her stand up again, allowing her to push more. She grabs onto my hand as the other on is on the wall. " You're doign good. You know what to do. Let your body do the work." She pushed again, only for something to go wrong. " Something's wrong stop!" She screams in pain, more blood coming out than needed.

 I lay Lori back down as the generators stop. " I-I, I don't think your fully dilated yet. No pushing is gonna help." 

 " I'm not losing the baby. You've gotta cut me open," she states.

 " No, no, no-"

 " You don't have a choice Carter."

 " I'll go for help," Carl states, only to be shut down be his mother.

 " Ca-Carol's the who practiced. I never learned this Lori. What if I-"

 " Please. My baby has to survive...Please, Carter! Please..." My begin to water, knowing we only have one choice.

 " Carl, I need your knife, it's cleaner than mine." He slowly hands me the knife. I lift up her shirt, seeing the old C-section scar.

 " You see it?" she asks, which I only nod to, choking back a sob. " Carl? Baby, I don't want you to be scared, okay? This is what I want. This is right. Now you-you take care of your daddy for me, all right? And your little brother or sister, you take care..."

 " You don't have to do this." he sobs.

 " You're gonna be fine... You are gonna beat this world, I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong, and you are so brave! And I love you."

 " I love you too."

 " You gotta do what's right, baby. You promise me, you'll always do what's right. It's so easy to do the wrong thing in this world. So don't... so if it feels wrong, don't do it, all right? If it feels easy don't do it. Don't let the world spoil you. You're so good! You're my sweet boy! The best thing I ever did! I love you! I love you. You're my sweet, sweet boy, I love you. Okay... okay, now. Okay. Carter, when this is over, you're gonna have to..."

 " Don't." I look away from her, my grip tightening on the boy's knife.

 " No, you have to do it, it can't be Rick. Alright, alright, it's alright. It's alright... Goodnight, love."

 " I'm so sorry," I whisper, beginning the C-section. I cut through her, her screams piercing the air as I continue, wiping tears from my eyes. Carl screams for me to stop yet I still continue. She shudders to a stop, her head head lulling to the side. " Carl, I need you. Keep the site clean. If I cut too deep, I'll cut the baby. I 'em, I see the ears. I'm gonna pull 'em out."

 " Okay," he whispers. I pull the baby into my hands, begining to panic as the baby doesn't move or scream. I tap the baby for a few moments, the baby now screaming and kicking. Carl hands my his jacket, which I wrap around the child.

 " We gotta go."

 " We can't leave her," he states, looking back at his mother. Tears begin to form in my eyes again, knowing what he means. I look away from the two, hearing the gunshot ring out. The boy walks past me, his face expressionless.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Walking outside, I try to quiet the baby's wailing, the group looking at us three. Carl opens the gate for me. I try to keep a straight face, hiding most of the sadness on my face. Rick walk to us, his weapons hitting the floor.

 " Where is-Where is she?" he ask. I shake my head no, biting my lip to hold it all in. He begins sobbing, looking at Carl. A tear escapes my eye as I try to steady my breathing.  Maggie takes the baby from my grasp, seeing I can't handle this. I walk over to Daryl, him grasping my face before holding me to his chest. I hold my tears in, shivering as my grip tightens on his shirt, only a choked sob escaping.