Chapter 69 : No More Waiting

The group sits in the barn, exhaustion all of them as the storm screams and rages through the night.

Daryl sits beside Carter, afraid of touching the girl he had been looking for for so long; he figured out why she had been groaning in pain, as she had a long wound on her thigh. The only thing they could do was wrap it up with some cloth and hope for the best.

Despite everyone happy to have her back, they were all exhausted and needed their sleep. So, Daryl decided to take the first shift, Carter joining him.

" Who's died?" Carter wonders aloud, looking over at the male.

" Ty and Beth," he answers quietly, poking at the fire in front of him. She nods her head silently. " Where did you go?"

" I tried to walk into a herd of walkers." The sentence makes Daryl almost snap his neck to look at Carter. " I didn't have hope I'd find you guys again. I wanted to die. But as I was walking towards the herd, I kinda stopped," she shrugs, her brows scrunching as she tries to remember. " When they were almost able to touch me, I ran. I don't know why."

" I'm happy you did," Daryl sighs, looking at her. He takes in her features, missing them; her eyes are still beautiful, her skin still looking soft despite the layers of dirt and her lips look chapped but still so kissable. " I missed you, Carter."

" I missed you too... Dixie Cup," she grins. Daryl can only bite his lip, trying to keep the smile off his lips.

" Really? You had to bring that up again?"

" Yes," she giggles, covering her mouth to quiet her laughter.

Daryl grabs her wrist softly, moving her hand away from her mouth. She quiets down, her expression becoming serious, as does Daryl's. Slowly, he forces himself to lean in, despite the anxiety in him. His eyes close, his heartbeat slowing down as his lips connect with her own.

The two moved slowly, wanting to feel everything. The feeling of their lips was so addictive, but they had to pull back as they needed air. They breathe heavily, cheeks red, but they felt relief.

" When we find someplace safe, I'm going to marry you," he whispers, intertwining their fingers. " I don't want to wait any longer. I want you as my wife, Peaches."

" You need to ask me, asshole," Carter grins, a tear of joy escaping her eye.

" Okay." He clears his throat in a joking manner before speaking. " Ms. Carter Foyer, will you marry me?"

" I don't know, Carter Dixon doesn't have that good of a ring to it." She lets a moment pass before chuckling softly. " Yes, I'll marry you." She lets out a silent cough, forcing the tears to leave her eyes, not wanting them to fall.

" I love you, Carter Dixon," he whispers, holding her face softly, as of she's made of glass.

" Love you too, Softie."