Chapter 1: Days Gone By

Carter's P.O.V

 Two months I've been on my own since shit hit the fan. Been scavenging around Augusta on both sides of the river. It's picked clean now, other than the dead geeks on the ground.

The bell rings as I walk into a gas station. It's the last place I'll scavenge before I find someplace to sleep. Probably a farmhouse if not overrun. A quick look around allows me to see junk food, candy, soda, and leftover cans of eaten food.

 " Dammit," I mutter, taking a step away from the aisle before freezing. I think for a moment, knowing I could get desperate for food one day.

 I give a small shrug, grabbing candy off the shelves and sticking them in one of the many pockets in my duffel bag. My eyes freeze on a door with 'Employee's Room' sign on it. My feet barely make a sound, my hands preparing an arrow with the bow in my hand.

 The door opens, reveal only a geek. He's not attacking, only skin and bones from starving to death. He pulls on the bottom of my jeans, going for my jacket as I kneel down beside him with an arrow in hand.

 " Sorry," I whisper, plunging the arrow into his eye socket. He limps into the original form he should have been before. I look around and see a few bottles of water. My mouth waters, my lips beginning to form a smile before I go emotionless.

 I put my bow and arrow back into their original positions on my back. I grab a bottle, drinking half of it and placing the other three in my bag. I go back outside and fill up my ride from the canister I found beside the station.

 " Fuck I do now? Both cities have been cleaned, seen no one here since it all started," I grumble. I pull out the map from my jacket and open it, wondering if I should go to one of the cities in Georgia or go further South. I close my eyes and point randomly. I peek an eye open to see it landed on Atlanta.

 " Well, here we go." I fold the map and stick it back into my pocket. I pop the kickstand and begin driving down the road, towards the city of Atlanta.

-

 Carter's P.O.V

 The city so silent. My bike is hidden in an alleyway, my bag slung over my shoulder as I walk down the sidewalk, humming a quiet tune. I stop in my tracks, the sound of geeks rings in my eardrums. My feet instinctively run away from the sound and across the street, reaching another alleyway with a ladder. The climb was quick as it ends with a small area to stand, allowing me to regain my composure.

 " Oh shit!" A quick turn allows me to see a police officer on a horse, trying to ride through. His horse gets taken down, being eaten alive. The man then crawls underneath the tank, geeks following behind.

 " Probably dea-" The sentence is cut off when a bang goes off in the tank.

 " Or not." I start to think of what I'd do with him. I facepalm, " Fuck it." I pull out cherry bombs and flares I found and light them, throwing them across the street. A few small explosions are heard, the light of the flares being seen, distracting a few.

 I run from the alleyway and towards the tank. Killing the few of the geeks around me I jump up onto the tank. I pull the latch open before bringing my hand inside. A rough hand wrap around mine. I pull the man up and say-