Chapter 16

A picture of how I imagined Gideon in my mind.
I like him (till now), hope you do, too.

*Eva's POV*
It's been 4 days since I last saw Max. I wont deny that I don't miss him, and don't feel bad for leaving him alone. But he had scared me. That girl killed her self because of Max. I don't think that's a little thing.

It's Friday, so I march towards my bathroom to get ready. After taking a shower, and putting on my basic tee and jeans, I descend downstairs.

"Morning, girlie," Hailey cooed.
"Hmm, morning." Sadly, I make myself some cereal, and hop on the marble counter with the bowl in my hands.
"Did he come yesterday?" she asks, as she pours herself some juice.
"No," I reply blankly. He didn't attend school since our last 'talk'. I am worried for him. What if he has done something stupid to himself? No. 'Stop thinking about him' my conscience tells me.
Checking the time from my phone, I yawned, and spoke, "I'm gonna get late. See you tonight."
"At least finish your breakfast!" she scolds.
"I'll eat something at school," I assure her. "Bye." I plant a kiss on her cheek and stride out.

The first four periods passed in a blur, and honestly I couldn't understand a single word what the teachers were saying. My mind was glued to Max.

What is Max doing? Why hasn't he called? Why isn't he attending school? Is he even alive?

It's lunch time now, so I make my way towards my friends who are sitting at our usual spot.
They all say hello, and I greet back (of course with a forced smile).

I sit down next to Rose.
"Still nothing from him?" she asks.
I shake my head.
She places her hand on mine, and squeezes it affectionately. "Don't worry, he'll call."
I mentally laugh at that. No, he won't. He is just too messed up right now. "I hope he does."

I didn't tell her exactly what had happened. Just bits and pieces, that his past with women is becoming the problem. She, along with others have no idea how I'm doing. Hell, I myself don't know that.

I've just been with two men, and that wasn't a serious relationship. But, I think this is. We have a connection between us. A connection between two souls. Every time there's a new wound, a new scar to add to my collection.

"Hey, don't get sad. It's gonna be okay."
I smile at her and suddenly remember that she had an interview yesterday. "What about that interview you had yesterday? How'd it go?" I ask her.
She starts to blush, and her pouty lips curve into a small smile. "Umm.. good. My boss is really arrogant but handsome at the same time. You know like Bennett Ryan. Have you read it?"
I grin. "Yea, I have. God, you lucky thing." I playfully hit her arm, and she rolls her eyes.
"I don't want a beautiful bastard, or stranger. What so ever."
"Oh, you do."
We both laugh. I like how she can make me laugh, even in the darkest times.

The bell rang and I march out my class, very much looking forward to going home and then watch CONFESS whilst eating ice-cream.
Sounds good.

Just when I'm about to leave the corridor someone calls my name. I turn around and find Gideon running towards me. Memories of that day flash at the back of my eyes, and I fight the biggest battle with my tears who are begging me to let them escape.
Just hold on till you get home I tell myself.

"Hey," he chirps.
"Umm....hi?" I say uncomfortably. It came out more like a question than a reply. Awkwardly, I scratch my neck, trying to avoid making eye contact with him.
"How are you? I heard you are mad with Max." He eyes me curiously, and crosses his arms over his chest.
"Not exactly. How did you know?"
"After all I'm still his stepbrother. Anyway, would you like to go out tonight with me?"

Umm...

"I don't think that's a good idea, Gideon." I laugh awkwardly.
He gives me a warm smile, and I feel sad for him. He lost his sister because of Max. That's not a tiny thing.
"Yeah? And why not?" he questions.

Should I tell him?

Or not?

No.

"I... umm... sorta have some work to do today." I lie.
"What work?"
"Err... I need to sort my cupboards."
He throws his head back, and laughs. "Did someone ever tell you that you're a shit liar?" he grins from ear to ear, whilst I blush, totally embarrassed. "It's fine. Any other time maybe?"
"Sure."
"Kay.... I guess I'll see you on Monday?"
"Yeah, I guess. If only I stay alive." The last line came out more like in a whisper but he heard me.
"What the hell? Are you insane? I swear to god, if you do something-.."
"Calm down! Jesus." I roll my eyes.
"You better don't do anything stupid. I plan on doing a lot with you."

And with a wink, he strides away.

******

Hello!
Do you guys like 'Gideon'? Comment 😉
Stay tuned!!
Ax