I

Second things second
Don't you tell me what you think that I could be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea.

-Believer, Imagine Dragons.

...

Fire.

Abebi had always loved fire. The way it danced carefree, threatened anyone who stepped near it, the blue and yellow flames mixing together in perfect harmony, and the fact that it was so harmful yet so useful.
She wished she was like fire sometimes. Fearsome, strong, rebellious, yet no one would be able to do without her. She shook her silly thoughts away from her mind and looked around her.

Looked back at reality.

Her mother had gone to their father's hut, as it was her turn to spend the night with him, and Abebi was left with her five brothers. Her three older brothers sat at one side of the room, gulping down their pounded yam and vegetable soup while arguing about a boxing match that took place almost two full moons ago. Her two younger brothers on the other hand, were playing with their food, and she sighed deeply, knowing that she would be the one to clean up after them.

It was moments like this that made her miss her older sister, Ashabi. Ashabi had been married for two years already, and had one son the last time she saw her. She also heard that she gave birth to the forbidden twins, and she felt pity for her sister, for she had to go through such fate. To give birth to twins was already difficult, and after the pain of childbirth, the children were sent back to the gods. She never liked Ashabi's betrothed, he was handsome to look at, but once he started to boast about all his feats, he suddenly became repulsive.

But her sister was happy, and as for her, she still remained here. She had heard her mother talk to her father about some men that were already coming to ask for her hand, and she had an idea of who some of them were.

Demola, the popular palm wine tapper had begun to greet her on her way back from the stream, and one time, she heard him tell his friends how her wide hips would be good for childbearing.

Okiki, one of the carvers of the kingdom had carved beads for her to wear a full moon ago, and although she had refused it, he gave it to Mama instead who forced her to wear it anytime she passed his hut.

"You should be happy that the good men of this kingdom are now showing you attention, especially now that you are of age. Very soon, your father would pick the most eligible suitor for you." Mama had said this morning and Abebi just nodded dutifully.

There was nothing wrong with marriage, she had grown up to know that it was her duty, to bring more people into this world, to be a man's wife, to take care of a home.

But now that she was of age, she was suddenly afraid.

She wished that she was a man instead. Men were like fire; but women, they were the ones that got burnt.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of the loud gong outside their hut. It was the town crier. They all kept silent to listen to the news he had to bear. She hoped there was no war.

"All the virgin maidens of Asiwaju Kingdom are to meet at the palace square, a full moon from now, for a beauty pageant. Our great Oba would pick a winner and she would be his new wife-"

"New wife?" Abebi thought out loud.

"Abebi, you want to be the Olori abi?" Her oldest brother Tokunbo teased and the others laughed.

"I have no interest in getting betrothed to a man old enough to be my father." She replied firmly, turning away to listen to the town crier.

"-all virgin maidens must be present, and failure to do so would attract death."