III

If they don't treat you right, you need somebody
...
You should know by now that you deserve a gentleman

-Gentleman, Ric Hassani

...

*Trigger Warning*

...

The lips of a woman carried news faster than any town crier in the kingdom, so when the town crier moved around with his gong and loud voice, informing people of the Kings new bride, and the ceremony that was going to take place in three days, most people already knew about it.

Oba Eniafe had already won the hearts of Abebi's parents. His bride price for her was the largest he had ever done for any woman. On top of that, he had made Abebi's brothers chiefs, and made sure that her father would never have to work again.

So when Abebi secretly called Mama, begging her to save her from the fate of being married to the old man that was currently drinking palm wine with Papa in his hut, Mama brushed it off as nervousness.

"Abebi." Her mother rolled her eyes. "What nonsense are you saying? Do you know how many girls would kill to be in your position? Yet you have the opportunity and you're running your mouth like parrot. Better behave yourself. Do not let your Papa hear you." Mama warned.

"But Mama-"

"Listen to me Abebi." Her mother pulled at her right ear, making Abebi wince in pain as she fought the tears that threatened to fall. "You are about to become a queen. The wife of an Oba. Do you know how much this king gave us for you? Your Papa would never have to work again! I am the talk of the town in this kingdom now, highly respected, as the mother-in-law of the Oba. All those useless people that used to scorn us because of our poverty have no mouth to insult me again. Even your Papa has begun to favour me more than Mama Yetunde because of you." Mama dragged her ear again before leaving it, throbbing in pain. Abebi placed her hand on her ear, massaging it.

"So you had better behave yourself. Be a good wife to the King. Obey him, respect him, please him very well, especially in bed. And bear him a son. Do not put me to shame oh! If you do so, I would personally kill you." Her mother finished. "Now get ready, the Oba doesn't want to leave until he sees you."

"Yes Mama."

...

Abebi held herself together, refusing to shed any tears until the Oba left. If she did so now, he might notice the puffiness in her eyes and get the wrong idea.

Not that the idea would be wrong.

She adorned herself in beads and rubbed more shea butter on her face, while she thought of a certain lover.

While she was here, being sold to an old man, he was in another kingdom, fighting with his life.

Oh! She hoped he was okay! To hear of his death would be like taking the sun away from the earth. She said a quick prayer to Ogun, the god of war, begging him to keep her lover for her.

I will come for you.

That's what he had said, but the war won't be over in a full moon, and her ceremony was in two days.

I will come for you.

As she walked towards her Papa's hut, wondering what would happen if she ran away now. When they join her to the Oba, he would never be able to get to her.

I will come for you.

She shook her head in despair. By the time he would come, it would be too late.