Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"A person doesn't know true hurt and suffering until they've felt the pain of falling in love with someone whose affections lies elsewhere."

~ Rose Gordon

2 days ago

Matthew started the car's engine with a heavy heart. He didn't think the night would end this way. He thought what they had was going well, and though they were going through a rocky patch, he wasn't worried at all because he had faith they would make it through; the rough patch could actually make them stronger as a couple. Or so he thought.

His conclusion couldn't have been further from the truth, however. The rough patch didn't work in their favor; it actually halted their growth and it broke them up.

He didn't intend to go back to Maine tonight as his return flight wasn't scheduled until Monday the following week - it was only Tuesday and he just arrived in Nashville that afternoon. Talk about ruined plans, he thought bitterly. He decided he'd just get back to his hotel and spend the night there, but he'd drive all the way back to his state the following morning.

There was no use in staying in Nashville. Everything reminded him of Reba and as cliché as it sounded, it definitely felt like rubbing salt to an open wound. He also didn't want any chance of running into Reba if ever he went roaming around downtown. It would crush him, more than he already was, if he saw even an ounce of pity in her eyes. Even worse, what if he ran into Reba and Narvel together? He didn't think he'd be able to control himself not to punch the guy.

He needed some time to think, and other than mountain climbing and trekking, he found long drives to be relaxing. So before he even started the car, he already made up his mind. He took a deep shuddering breath as he did his best to fight the lump that formed in his throat, but he didn't manage to prevent the tears that brimmed his eyes.

Get it together, Matthew Isaiah Morrissey! This isn't your first heartbreak, man. Get a grip.

He rubbed his eyes, a little too roughly, and wiped his nose. He turned off the radio that automatically came to life when he started the car. The blasted thing was set to a country music station, and he didn't think he could handle it at the moment. He shook his head and stretched his sore neck muscles before he completely drove away and left Reba's property.

So much for taking chances at romance again.

A week after

Erika had been calling her father since last night, but he hadn't answered any of them. He also didn't return any of her text messages. She knew he'd been back in town as their family friend, Julie, told her she saw Matthew yesterday at the organic market. Erika was tempted to ask if her father was with anyone, but decided not to. She was thinking that the only reason her dad was not answering the phone was because he was with his new girlfriend.

Still, it wasn't like him to not bother to pick up. She was getting worried so she decided to drop by his place after lunch. She could only hope that if his dad's girlfriend was in town, she would not see anything that could scar her for life. Other than that, she was really looking forward to finally meeting the famous redhead that captured her father's heart.

Erika knocked on the door of her father’s house, but no one answered. She really didn't want to use her own keys in case she might see anything, but she didn't have a choice. She'd been standing outside her father's house for almost twenty minutes and she was getting impatient. So she searched for the keys in her purse, inserted it to its slot in the doorknob, and gently opened the door.

"Papaw?" she asked loud enough to make sure if her dad was with his girlfriend, they'd hear her.

"Dad?" she repeated, and walked inside. She noticed how dark the house was, but she could hear some noise from the living room.