7. A Second Opinion

Start from the beginning

The door to Marcus's chambers was wide open, as it usually was. Most days, the quiet, taciturn gentleman lacked the will to close it, so Renata took it upon herself to close it once she entered.

"Master Aro requires your ... Why are you lying on the floor when you have a perfectly nice leather sofa?"

Marcus was lying right in the middle of the room, staring blankly at the ceiling. "Leather, stone, it all feels the same to me: uncaring, unyielding, and unforgiving. I fear I can no longer tell silk from sandpaper. ... Is there something you want?"

"Master Aro seeks your ... Never mind." This man is of no use to anybody. "Sorry to have bothered you. I'll show myself out."

"It was no bother."

His indifference could soon become a liability, Renata worried as she closed the door behind her and moved on to the next leader's chambers. To this room, she walked very tentatively, and when she reached the door, she was careful to knock.

"Come in," Caius said, his irritation so clear that it nearly turned Renata away entirely, but she had a job to do, and her master was counting on her. "Are you coming, or do I have to drag you in myself? I don't have all day, you know."

Composing herself, Renata entered his chambers. "Master Aro requires your counsel."

"My counsel? That is a very clever way of phrasing it. He certainly didn't need my counsel when he decided to enter into a partnership with the mayor, or when he decided to build that ghastly hotel, or when he purchased this unnecessary piece of furniture for everyone."

He sat uncomfortably at his new desk, which lacked the fine embellishments of Aro's desk: no gilded pens, no ancient texts from the early days, no sentimental trinkets of any kind—just a desk and a chair with a wobbly leg.

"Tell me, why does he so desperately need my counsel now?" he asked.

Renata was reluctant to respond when she knew the answer would upset him further. "Well, there are two paintings he's considering."

If he hadn't been in Renata's company, he would have taken his desk, smashed it against the wall, and gleefully watched it splinter into a million pieces. Since she was present, however, he could only sulk in his frustration.

"For the last time, I don't care about his paintings or his sculptures. While he is decorating his chambers and arranging meetings like some common businessman, I am working to solve real problems that could very much lead to the destruction of our race. When he finally feels like contributing, he can seek me out. Until then, leave me in peace." He lowered his head and went back to work. 

Cut out your forked tongue, you serpent! Renata spitefully thought. How dare you mock Master Aro? While you're skulking around in the shadows, he is making the connections necessary to ensure the longevity of our race. He will single-handedly bring us into the new age, but you would prefer to remain an ancient relic of the past, so you can't possibly see his glorious vision! 

Her thoughts were so powerful that she was starting to shake, but they would remain just that — thoughts.

Caius glanced up. "You're still standing there? I've given you my answer."

"Yes." Renata slowly began her retreat. "Forgive me."

They're all deceivers, she thought as she returned to Aro's chambers, and he's the biggest one of them all! I can't let him destroy all that we've worked for — I won't! Master Aro must be warned of this. I must tell him at once! 

Upon turning the corner, Renata came upon two children dressed all in black, blending in like two shadows on the wall. If she hadn't been so focused, she might not have noticed them at all.

"Alec, Jane, what are you doing wandering about?"

"We're not wandering," Jane answered quietly, staring out from beneath her blunt brown bangs. "We know exactly where we're going."

"And where is that?" Renata asked.

"Wherever we choose."

"No," Renata said firmly. "You cannot just go wherever you wish. You know this."

"And if we refuse, will you stop us?" Jane challenged. "Can you stop us?"

Renata felt something then — an uncomfortable tingle in her fingers, like she was holding her hand directly over a burning candle. It was not painful, not yet, but it could quickly become so if the little girl wished it.

As Renata squirmed, Jane was beaming with childish delight. "Is something wrong?" she asked. "You look displeased."

Renata's body started to relax, but the memory of the pain would remain on her skin, serving as a subtle warning.

"I'm fine," Renata answered. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to speak with Master Aro."

"Of course." Jane stepped aside and allowed her to pass. "I quite enjoyed this talk, Renata. We should have more of them. Later, perhaps."

"Yes, perhaps." Renata glanced over her shoulder and watched the two children disappear around the corner. Demons they are, with the innocent faces of children. Master Aro should have let them burn.

After failing to meet his request, Renata had no choice but to return to her master empty-handed, and this made her very uneasy. When she arrived at his chambers to deliver the unfortunate news, however, she was completely brushed aside.

"I've made the decision on my own," Aro told her. "Although grim and cliché, I find the subject matter of this painting rather appealing and thought-provoking, as if posing the question: 'Are we all damned?'"

"It was a wise decision, Master," Renata agreed, "but the other leaders should have come at your call. It was very bold of them to refuse you, Master, too bold for my liking. Caius worries me the most. He speaks ill of you when your back is turned, and he does not believe in your cause. If we don't take action soon, everything you have worked so hard for could be destroyed."

Aro listened but granted her words no merit. "There is no need to worry, Renata. Caius will not betray me."

"Your self-assurance is admirable, but I fear it has blinded you. There are traitors among us, Master, and they will strike when you are most vulnerable."

Renata's hand found its way to Aro's shoulder, where it lay until he swatted it away.

"Are you questioning my judgment, Renata?"

"No, not at all. I just—"

"I think you need a break, my dear. You have been working too hard. Take a few days for yourself."

His word pierced like a knife in her chest. "But I have already taken the days, and they all but destroyed me. Master, my place is at your side, protecting you."

"And I appreciate your loyalty more than I can say." He spoke like a boss attempting to fire his most trusted employee: carefully dancing around the truth so as to spare her feelings. "But I don't need you right now."

She swallowed hard. "You don't need me?"

Aro smiled pleasantly and reached for one of his books. "That will be all, Renata. Show yourself out."

With a deep bow, she obediently replied, "Yes, Master," and exited the room.