Chapter 23

When my eyes slowly peered open, I flinched back and didn't even bother forcing back a cringe when the light struck my face; nearly blinding me because of how bright it is. My eyes squinted when I covered my eyes with my right arm, shielding it from its brightness.

I squinted my eyebrows together as I adjusted my upper body upwards into a more comfortable position as my hands flew through my stomach as a natural reflex, I expected to feel some kind of pain. But oddly enough, I didn’t. The pain was gone. If the pain is gone, then why are my arms hooked up to a machine? My heart beat increased as well as the little monitor on the side of me.

“Calm down. You’ll break the machine.” A voice chuckled which only succeeded in making the heart monitor increase. Nothing is being accomplished here. Nothing at all.

“Where-?” I’m caught off. “Your mate and his father went to run some errands, while the pack doctor went to get some supplies. They'll be back soon enough, don't get your panties in a bunch.” The shadow across the room appeared in the light, why is Royce here? I blushed uncomfortably as a highly respected member of the vampire clan peered down at me in amusement.

“Why do you appear to be in shame of my presence, many would be kissing at my feet if they were in your position.” He chuckled hoarsely as he pulled up a chair and sat down besides me.

“What’s wrong with me?” He tsked and sighed as he raked a hand through his hair. “That’s what we’re trying to find out aren't we?.” He murmured without keeping eye contact. If he didn’t deny it, then why did he look uncomfortable? There's something going on that no one is telling me. Serge knows how much I hated secrets.

How much I hated to be lied to! The heart monitor when up again in cahoots as my pulse rose at an alarming rate. “I want answers. What are you hiding from me?”

Royce glanced down at me with a lingering sorrow in his hollow and vacant red eyes. “Its not my place to say. But on a different note I hear you’ve decided to go to trial.” He smirked. Why was he trying to switch the conversation? Why go off topic? “Why-?”

He pointed his finger up towards my face accusingly. “Don’t be rude, just answer the question.” My face contorted into annoyance at his ignorance. “Not until you answer mine.”

“Touche, touche...you know for a human you aren’t half bad.” He smirked as his eyes gazed down towards me menacingly. Chills rose up my spine as goosebumps erupted from me. Those words… I winced, as I refused to meet eyes for the likes of him.

“Yes sir.” He hummed, as he moved his hands backwards so that they were both placed on the back of his head.

“Interesting. Why the change of heart? For vengence of your dear friend? Or for personal interest?” I whipped my head towards him so fast, that I could have sworn that I almost got a whiplash. What did he mean by that? “What are you implying?” I hissed out through clenched teeth.

He leaned forwards and slapped me across the face. “Answer the question.” I kept one hand placed over the bruising cheek, tears were brimming past my eyelids, as I forced the tears back. I gulped, Callias was serious.

These vamps won’t hesitate to put humans into their place. “Vengeance.” I said to him without skipping a beat. He hummed again, as he moved his hand back to the side, and cupped his chin with his forefinger and thumb with the other.

“Vengeance, I can easily grant though. Why go through the trouble of attending the trial?” My now bruised up cheek was still throbbing and the heart monitor wouldn’t stop beeping. At this rate, i’m sure it would break.

“Darren is my best friend, I won’t abandon him.” I managed out. “Loyalty is a great quality, too bad there are those that possess it and eventually take advantage of it.” He hummed again while peering down at his polished fingernails. The fuck was he on about?