Chapter 16

Nikolas is gone. Its been a few days since he has been, and search parties were sent from the Southern to the Northern neighboring packs. Just to notify them of our beta’s disappearance, and to keep an eye out for him. Serge is currently without a beta; making things difficult at pack meetings. Tonight was the first pack meeting in a while; held in Nikolas’s honor.

As the alpha’s mate I was obligated to attend. The women in the Silver Bane pack weren’t allowed to be present, so they weren’t sent elsewhere with their offspring as a distraction. I stood by Serge’s side humbly, looking onward at the disagreement unfolding in penetrating heat. Most of the time, I sat there tuned out and bored as hell. Serge and Callias seemed to be handling things fairly well. Or so I thought…

Its been an hour and fifty minutes since the meeting commenced, and I couldn’t help myself from dozing in and out of sleep. They kept disputing over who’s going to temporarily replace Nikolas’ duties as a beta. A heavy bald man with a stippled beard pulled out from his seat and slammed the table with his fist.

The force of it caused the drink filled glasses to slightly tipple over, what a way to get some attention around here. I applaud this man hands down.

I straightened up from my seat an arched an eyebrow as I coughed into my fisted hand, trying to cover up a laugh. Both Serge and Callias turned towards me, Callias with a glare and Serge with concern, “you alright?” I nodded.  “You may speak Vincent.” Vincent nodded.

“Who are you to decide who is going to potentially be the next beta? You aren’t even alpha yet, and you haven’t even mated yet, your mate isn’t even of our kind! There is no logic in that!” My body grew cold. Mated? We had to mate in order for Serge to be alpha?

The wolves nodded and murmured in agreement. “That is none of your concern, our mating ceremony shall commence when  the fates deem it so.” Serge retaliated. Vincent only scoffed at that before twirling a few strands of his beard with his long, dark, and matte looking fingernails.

He placed both of his hands on the table before leaning forward almost threateningly. “How can you say that is not of our concern? We are your people, your people’s opinions should matter! Are you being ignorant to our concerns?” Serge growled low in his throat at the challenge by a lesser wolf. Callias and I tensed up in our seats.

“Are you questioning me? How dare you! You of all should know not to question the alpha!” Serge growled again. I reached out my hand wanting to comfort Serge, before Callias made a motion towards me not to. So I quickly pulled my hand back, his wolf was coming out again.

I wanted and needed to do something about that before things could get out of hand. The one opposite of Vincent, stood up from his seat and suggested, “Why don’t you have Logan be the temporary beta?” Murmures erupted around the table while I remained frigid in shock.

“He is my mate, and your luna to be, there is no need for that.” Serge responded. Thank you. “I agree, but why don’t we give Logan a chance to see what pack life is like, that way he would understand the duties of alpha’s mate and relate to our world more.”

“There’s just one problem with that Kalik.” A heavy silence draped over the men, before he too stood up from his seat. “He is not a werewolf. A human. Do you truly expect a human to understand a werewolf’s norms if he were to take on what Nikolas stupidly left behind?” He suggested.  No one spoke after that, so Kalik continued after a heavy pause, “That may be so alpha, but he can become one of us through the blood conversion.”

I scrutinized my eyebrows at that. Conversion? What does he mean? Serge shook his head roughly at Kalik’s suggestion. “That ritual hasn’t been done in centuries, there are so many things that can go wrong. That’s out of the question take your seat.” He commanded. Kalik refused and pressed on, “But its still a possibility isn’t it? Logan can become one of us, and--.” Serge gave out a low rumbling growl, that had Kalik fall backwards into his seat with pursed lips and bulging eyes.