Chapter 9

I looked around me before I decided to put the lighter in my back pocket, and before I headed down the stairs, I locked myself up in my room and immediately headed for my desk. I pulled the rolling office chair out and adjusted myself on it before I pulled out the bottom door, and yanked it completely out of its socket. Before I stuck the lighter on the back drawer, I took out a black thick sharpie pen, and popped out the cap with my mouth.

I crossed out the lighter out of my list, and made sure to add a star next to the map in order to remind myself that I should begin to start drawing the map as soon as I got the chance to. I kissed the book that I recovered from the library with Nikolas, and placed it inside.

I placed the little cabinet drawer back in its place, I looked around my room in order to think of the best way to hide the lighter. I decided to get out of the room and walk down the hallway. I stopped by the same portrait of Serge's mom that I saw the other day. And I knew just where to put the lighter, as messed up as the situation is, when push comes to shove, anything becomes possible when you're desperate.

Since the portrait wasn't placed very high up on the wall, I could easily move the small statue stand to side. I reached up to the portrait and pulled down the portrait with careful ease facing backwards to the wall. I crouched down to its height as I taped the lighter to the back of the portrait. And as quickly as my hands could hold onto, I reached up to the portrait and placed it back in its spot. All while making sure that the portrait wasn't slanted, once that was secured. I picked up the small statue stand so that it too was back to its original spot.

"What are you doing?" I jumped when I heard Nikolas' voice. I couldn't help but stutter over my words. "I-I was just admiring the painting." He only knitted his eyebrows, as he crossed his arms in mild suspicion. "I told you not to worry about her." It was the first time I felt a little bit scared of Nikolas, he was glowering at me, with the darkest gaze I've ever seen from him. He twisted his neck from side to side, before he oddly enough, completely stepped out of his stupor before he urged me to follow him and leave the painting alone.

His eyes lingered to the painting once more before he followed me downstairs.
Things were getting stranger, and stranger in the house.

And I didn't like it not one bit, it made me feel self- conscious and down right creeped out.

There was danger lurking in the air, and danger was never a good thing.

I felt chills rack up my body, as I could only manage to think of the worst, but I had to hold on.

I had to suppress the fear in me, if I was going to make it out alive.

Or if I had any chance of making it out alive at all.