Chapter 15 Freeze in the Name of the Freya

We all gathered at the shore where the island met the ice bridge. The plan was to lure a small group of Speed Stingers to the shore where Glacier would be lying in wait for them, and at the perfect moment she would freeze a few of them and we'd get their venom from their tails.

"This plan is so not going to work," Scythe crossed his arms.

"Yes it is, shut up," I slapped his head in return.

"No, no, I'm actually with Scythe on this one," Comet said.

"Okay, fine, do you have a better idea?" I challenged the group. Salmonfoot raised his hand, but slowly put it back down as I gave him a sharp glare.

"Yeah, why doesn't she fly over them all and freeze them?" Scruffnut asked.

"All in favor of for my idea?" At my question only Buffnut and Salmonfoot raised their hands. I heavily sighed, " All in favor of Scruffnut's idea?" Comet, Bottonlout, and Scythe were all traitors.

"Yes!" Scruff exclaimed. "In your face Fea!"

"Fea?" The rest asked at once.

"Don't ask," I said without hesitation. I looked to Scruff, "what's your plan?"

"Me and my brother, along with Vomit and Fart will enclose them in a ring of fire, see? And then while they're in that, Glacier comes in and freezes them!"

Salmonfoot coughed up some courage and began to ask, "Uh, won't the explosion..."

I put my hand over his skinny face before he could finish. I can work with this. "Sounds good."

The twins took their dragons high, into the air. When the Speed Stingers showed up, Stromcloud was to give the signal of a signal flare. At that moment Fart and Vomit would dive down and make an explosive ring of fire. While trapped Glacier would freeze the lot of them, that's when we'd go in and take as much venom as we could. Like all venomous dragons, Speed Stingers naturally make venom, and with how much they feed, it wouldn't take long.

It didn't take very long for the Speed Stingers to wander on to the ice. They were peaceful at first until they seemed to notice something was wrong. The leader of the pack was very distinct with his large red fin on his head. This poor guy looked old, however. Marked with battle scars and the eyes of a creature who has been though a lot. His claws and tail twitched seemingly uncontrollably. I turned back to Salmonfoot with a concerned look. He made eye contact with me and I knew he was thinking the same thing. There was something not right with this dragon.

I no longer felt comfortable completing this plan, Scruff's or mine. Almost on queue, there was a scratching in my saddle bag. When I opened it, Zeus launched himself at me. I fell back on my butt as Zues continued to fly out.

Not meaning to, he landed on the covered ice and slid out into view, no long under the cover of bushes. "Zeus!" I called. This alerted the Speed Stingers of the small dragon, frantically trying to scurry back to me. His wings attempted to flap wildly, but they were clunky and still heavy with Speed Stinger venom.

"Stormcloud, warning flare," I heard Salmonfoot tell my dragon. The purple rings of the flare scraped across the sky above the island, but I was focused on getting my Terror back, before the lead Speed Stinger sprinted for him. Just as his fangs got to him, I pushed his head away from the dragon and scooped him up into my arms. My feet, finally have way and I slid the rest of the way until I was stuck in the middle of the ice.

By this time the rest of the group had landed and began to square off with the rest of the Stinger pack, keeping them off me, however the leader was still angry that I had taken his meal from him. He glared at me with glazed eyes and twitching limbs. As he lunged, Stormcloud had head butted him onto his side. The Stinger scrambled back to his feet, but kept his attention on me. Each time he would try to lunge for me, Stormcloud was there to block his path. Before long he got so frustrated that he swung his tail at Stormcloud. She was now on the defensive trying to avoid the sting. As she kept her ground a good distance from me clinging to Zues, the Stinger slashed his claws over her eyes. She let out a cry that made me gulp. From the small portion of her face I could see, she was angry. The Stinger jumped, aiming to get over Stromcloud, but she swung her heavy tail into his side with a deep thud. It took a bit for it to recover until the Stinger finally realized he had to deal with Stormcloud if he wanted to get to me.

In a split second he was on her back, digging his claws into her thick hide. Stormcloud kicked and bounded to get him off. I couldn't move, the ice was too unsteady for me to be of any help. All I could do was watch and trust that my dragon could save my life and her own.

Stormcloud barrel rolled the Stinger off her. Now having the upper hand, I watched Stromcloud's mouth fill with a purple glow. Reflexively I shouted, "Stromcloud!" It was the dumbest thing I could've done. She turned her head to me in worry. This was when the Stinger slashed a gap in her throat, deep enough to bleed, but shallow enough to not kill her.

Stromcloud didn't cry; she screamed. She screamed a terrible roar, that shook the sky. Her eyes have narrowed completely, and her sights were set completely on the Speed Stinger. The next time he lunged for her, she caught him by the snout. The Stinger kicked free of her grip, but Stormcloud only jumped at him in return. Eventually she landed a deep blow to his throat in the Stingers desperate flailing. My shiver went down my spine when I heard the thick crunch of his neck and the Speed Stinger's body went limp.

I saw the anger in the dragon's eyes but at the same time a bit of regret. Since Dad, we have never killed dragons on Berk. The humans' beliefs has reflected on our dragons. This only reminded me that Stormcloud wasn't just my friend; she was a dragon, an animal who will take a life to save her own, and a creature who was built to kill.