Chapter 1 What the Hell

I could hear almost everything. Things more of came out in small bursts and drug together.

"Freya. Don't touch her. I'm scared. She's dead. Leave her be. Don't touch her. Is it just me or does it look like she's sleeping."

That last one surprised me. I sure wasn't dead, but I couldn't move. I could hear but I couldn't feel, besides a weird stickiness on my stomach. I just assumed it was Stormcloud and left it at that.

All that was put behind me when electricity shot through my spine. It wasn't like a spark, but more like being hit in the gut by Glisten's tail when she's in a foul mood. Breath flooded from my lungs and my eyes open. I instantly sat up at the sudden pain that made my eyes sting.

"What the hell!" I shouted and tried to regain my breath. That was thrown out the window when three bodies glued themselves to me and my breath was lost once again.

"You're alive!" Comet shouted.

"Not for long." I rasped and they finally let go, allowing me to breath.

"Okay Freya, we have some good news and some bad news." Scythe said with a serious expression.

"I'm awake for two minutes and I'm already in trouble." I sighed. "This should be fun, let's hear it."

"Okay well the good news is we found out that scale is killing you. It's also keeping you alive." Scythe explained.

"Bad news?"

"We don't know how to cure it." Bottonlout admitted. "But Stormcloud is acting strange."

Well. I'm probably going to die, but at least I'll go out with a bang, just like every viking should.
I carefully stood up to make sure I didn't fall back down, but once I got used to my legs again I ran outside where I met the one I've missed the most.

"Stormcloud! I missed you, girl." I said and threw my arms around her. Before she did anything something flew onto my head.
I picked it off, knowing it was a dragon, but I was shocked to see which one it was.

"Hey, I know you! You're that Terrible Terror I met earlier in class. But, why are you here?" I asked it.

He was yellow and brown with dark green marking. He opened his tiny mouth and roared ever so cutly at me. He nuzzled his nose under my chin and I smiled.

"Well I'm guessing you want to stay, so alright. You can stay, um, I'll name you later..." I faded off as I saw the crowd of people running toward me. And by crowd I mean the entire village.

"She's alive. We've missed you. I can't beleive it. The gods have sent us a miracle!" They all shouted with glee. The ones that I brought my attention to were my mother and father.

"Mom, Dad!" I shouted and threw myself into their arms.

"Freya! You're alive. I never thought it old be possible." My mother cried and tears fell onto my back.

"My little girl. You're okay." My father said.

"That's my granddaughter. Cheating death itself!" My grandfather said and gave a big laugh.

"I love you all so much, but I can't stay." I said and regret.

"With this scale, I can't live forever, so I have to find a cure."

"I know sweetheart. " My mom said. "You have to find the cure, and we have to find the man who did this."

"Like father like daughter." My dad said, and he was right.

"You'll have to go now. I don't want my little girl to die. Now go off and be a viking." She smiled proudly at me. The more I hugged her, the tighter her grip got.

"Mom ..." I said.

"Right, sorry. It's hard to let go." She smiled. Her tears soon stopped and she cleared her throat. "Now go on, before I change my mind."

I smiled to her and fled the crowd. Too many people for my comfort, but it was nice to know that they care.

"So, Freya has a soft side." Salmonfoot said.

I put a mischievous smile on my face and looked to the three new additions. "You guys up for some fun?"

"Whoah, Freya got insulted and didn't kill anybody." Scruffnut gasped sarcastically.

"Wait!" Buffnut interrupted her laugh. "What kind of fun?"

"The dangerous kind that causes big explosions and might get us all killed." I said almost with enthusiasm.

"Hold on. I think I might cry." Bottonlout pretended to cry.

"What the hell, Freya! You're going to die and you want to have fun?" Scythe questioned.

"Yup!" I smiled.

A roar filled my ears and I turned around. It was Stormcloud and she was bounding around like Bottonlout with a worm down his shirt.

"What's your dragon doing?" Buffnut asked.

"She's trying to tell her something." Salmonfoot observed. Then Tigerlilly glided in beside her and started mimicking her moves.

"She wants us to go somewhere. " I said.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Comet asked.

"We're waiting for sanity to hit our brains." Scythe answered.

"Come on, Scythe. You're the son of one of the most dangerous people in the area." Comet punched him in the arm.

"Yes, I know, but that's why we shouldn't do this. People are after our heads! They have weapons and numbers and experience. We're just a bunch of kids!" Scythe argued.

"You're more of an idiot than I thought." I sighed.

"What?" He shouted.

"Those who attack us are relentless and crazy, but those who stop them, even more so! We may be small in numbers, but we stand for something bigger than anything the world can pin against us. We are the voice of peace, and bit by bit we will change this world. You see, we have something they don't. Oh, sure, they may have armies and they have armadas -"

"Yeah and what do we have?" Scythe questioned.

I smiled at his ignorance because the answer was clear. "Our dragons."