Chapter 14 Winter is Here

I held my breath and got to my knees and tapped on Scruff's shoulder. She was about to yell at me before I put my finger to my lips telling her to be quiet and pointed behind her. As she looked over her shoulder, she gulped and took a step closer to her.

  How, out of all the odds, did we land in the middle of a boar nest! Scruff whispered in my ears, "What do we do?"

I had no clue. I looked around and saw that we were in a bit of a sunken place full of mud and soft dirt. There were about 8, give or take, boars. They all blurred together so well it was hard to get an exact number. I looked up and saw our dragons fly past us. I wanted to shout out to them, but that would mean instant death. "Okay, we have to climb out of here very quietly. "

Scruff nodded but looked very unsure, though I was just as scared as she was. She sure had her relative Ruffnut's toughness. I held out my hand to her and he held tightly onto each other and crept over the boars one by one. As we climbed out of the sunken area, we let out a sigh of relief.

  We began to walk to the sound of the ocean until from the sky we heard a scream, "FREYA!" And it echoes. Comet you idiot!

Scruffnut and I looked at each other in terror. Nothing happened at first but then the rise of squeals sounded behind us.

"Run," I said. And we began sprinting towards the shore. The boars picked up on our frantic movement because a frenzy started behind us and a boar stampede came hurling towards us both.

"Oh gods, oh gods, oh gods!" Scruff began saying as she ran. The cold wind whipped my face and my aching muscles begged me to stop, but there was no way I was doing that.

I looked over my shoulder and they were right on our ankles. I nearly tripped, but when I saw how big they were I had an idea. "Okay, Scruff, listen to me. I'm going to jump on the leader's back and I'm going to need you to run to the right."

"Okay, that's seems like a very logical - you're going to do what!?"

I could feel the hot breath of the boars on the back of my legs. "Scruff just do it! We can't outrun them."

"Fine!" She groaned and made a sharp right. As the boars followed her, I gulped and jumped onto the back of the biggest boar that led the pack.

  The fur was moist and oily, and I felt it buck into my stomach. I crawled my way to the front and clung to it's fur for dear life. Finally at the tusks, I grabbed a hold of them and yanked them to the left, making the boar run in the opposite direction of Scruff.

  Only about half of them followed their leader while the other chased far behind her. Well, my plan half worked, but now I have no idea what to do. I didn't think I'd even get this far, but now the boar began to snort and squeal. I looked ahead and saw what it saw, it was the ocean. But this wasn't a good thing. It was the ocean from an elevated view, meaning we were headed for a cliff.

Me and the boar both squealed in terror, but just as it was about to fall, the boar pressed it's hooves into the dirt and launched me off it's back.

The icy water splashed below me and I let out a scream. This is how I died. At least it's not by that damn scale. I shut my eyes and let the wind tear my hair apart until it was completely undone.

For about the fourth time in the last thirty minutes I has the breath knocked from my lungs, but this time it was good. I heard the purr of Stormcloud below me and the thick leather of my saddle. I opened my eyes and squealed in happiness. "Stormcloud!" I hugged her neck and positioned myself in my saddle.

Stormcloud flew up to meet the other that were in a panic. "Freya!" Comet called.

"Freya, my sister is being chased by boars!" Buffnut cried.