Chapter Seven

Depuis le début

“She has also been suspected of stealing silver from the houses she's been in,” Holmes added as though this particular fact had just come back to him.

“Mrs. Stanhope, if you will please return to your rooms, I'm sure my husband will wish to have words with you when he returns and hears of this,” Mother said, her tone like stone. Mrs. Stanhope sputtered for a moment and then stormed out. “I do apologize for inflicting a domestic affair on you, Mr. Holmes.”

Holmes waved a hand. “Not at all, Mrs. Norton,” he responded. “In answer to your question, Miss Serena, yes. Several documents have come up missing, not only from the families of the three dead girls but also from Mr. Ian Wetherby.”

It was relief to move from my governess to the case at hand! Caroline Wetherby was one of the girls I had observed the night before. “Were those poor girls killed as a distraction?” Mother asked, looking as though she'd forgotten completely about what had been revealed about Mrs. Stanhope.

“An interesting notion, Mrs. Norton,” Holmes said. “But I can see from your daughter's expression that she doesn't think so.”

At some point I was really going to have to learn not to show my feelings on my face! “I think,” I said slowly. “I think that the girls knew the papers would be stolen.”

Mother frowned and Holmes leaned forward. “Why do you think that?”

“Last night, I observed five young ladies communicating by means of fans,” I answered. Holmes nodded to show he was aware of the tradition. “They indicated they knew something was either about to happen or was occurring right then. They may simply view it as a lark, a bit of fun. A way to relieve the boredom.”

“Why would young ladies choose such a traitorous method of relieving boredom?” Mother asked in astonishment.

Nodding his head, Holmes looked understanding. “Boredom, Madam Norton, can be unendurable at times,” he answered. “However, Miss Serena's theory does beg the question of who the young ladies have to steal the papers. It was a man I chased last night. Tall, average weight, very athletic. Not a young lady in disguise.”

Thoughtfully, Mother hummed a note. “That was what I was going to suggest,” she said. “I had played men's roles when I was on stage. It is not too difficult. But, you would know, of course.”

“A young man with ties to another country, perhaps, has gotten their confidences,” Holmes suggested. “I suspected that the man hide himself in plain sight by rejoining the party after he had stolen the documents.”

I had noticed many tall men at the gathering, and had even danced with a few. Quentin Keendy came immediately to mind. He'd been arrogant and sure of himself, and far to charming for his own good, if the way he had flirted with the other young ladies was anything to go by. “Then, perhaps an examination of the guest lists for all the events held by the families will yield something,” Mother suggested.

Getting to his feet, Holmes nodded. “I have studied those lists, and they have yielded nothing of any benefit beyond a useless knowledge of what the kind of company they keep. Very few similarities among the four houses.” He reached for his hat. “Thank you for your insights, Mrs. Nortan, Miss Serena. I feel I will have this case solved quite soon.”