bez [edited!]

"Our real discoveries come from chaos, from going to the place that looks wrong and stupid and foolish."

― Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

"Tell me about your sister?"

Phil smiled at the ground as he finished applying the wrap, giving Dan's leg a squeeze before letting go.

"I assume you saw a picture?" Phil took a seat opposite of Dan, pulling his knees up to his chest. Dan nodded in response, looking back at the photo. "What if I call her in here instead of me just telling you about her? She's just upstairs." The look of hope worn on Dan's face gave Phil the answer he was looking for. "Kami! Come here, please!"

The patter of footsteps was heard from many stories above, flat feet hitting the smooth wooden floors. It wasn't long until a small squeal of joy was heard from the top of the ladder the boys had previously stood in front of.

There was a thud and a small squeak. "Yeah, Phil?"

In walked Kami, Phil's older sister who, in fact, like Dan had seen in the picture, lacked a pair of wings.

Dan's jaw dropped at the same time as Kami's, at the same time as Phil's grin appeared.

Kami's hand was brought up to cover her mouth as her feet carried her in long strides towards Dan, stopping just a few inches from him. She bowed her head to look at his feet, slowly tilting her head upwards to drink in his entire figure. Her eyes caressed every inch of him, every curve, every bump, every misconception, until their eyes met.

"Turn around," She said breathlessly. Dan complied, awkwardly shuffling 180 degrees in order for his back to face her. He now faced Phil, whose grin was still fully visible. This made Dan smile as they shared a look, Dan's being grateful and Phil's being meaningful. Kami's fingers started at Dan's shoulder blades, lightly tracing downwards to where two identical wings should have been. Her touch was gentle and smooth. Suddenly, without warning, Kami threw her arms around the brown haired boy, pulling his back close to her chest. Dan's eyes grew wide as he was pulled backwards sharply into a hug.

"This is amazing!" Kami exclaimed, bouncing up and down a bit before releasing Dan from her grip. "You don't have wings! I don't have wings!" Dan turned back to face her, walking around her slowly to take a double take.

"Wow," He said quietly, weaving his left hand through his hair. "Wow...hi, wow."

Phil laughed. "I didn't really know what the reaction would be between you two."

Kami turned a light red, becoming extremely self aware. "You should've warned me or something! I'm totally unprepared! I haven't even bathed!"

It suddenly all clicked in Dan's head. Phil wasn't tricking him; he wasn't trying to get something out of him. What Phil wanted was to give his sister what Dan had been dying to know his entire life; the knowledge that she wasn't completely alone in the world.

"I just can't believe it." Dan awed as he gazed over Kami, before quickly holding out his hand. "It's, uh, nice to meet you." He faulted slightly, and the girl in front of him smiled as she extended her hand as well.

"Same goes to you."

...

"So what was it like for you, growing up I mean?" Dan asked Kami, who sat across from him in the long grass of the meadow that surrounded the house. Soft golden light shone off the girl's honey colored hair, which Phil had successfully woven into a braid. He had been extremely proud of his work and had gone off to find some flowers to add to the plait.